1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Notification sound doesn't always play

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sfdroidinc, Jan 7, 2014.

1. sfdroidinc

sfdroidinc Newbie

Sep 4, 2011
    Hey folks. I'm on my second Moto X cause I upgraded to the 32GB model when it came out and on both phones at least 10% of the time I get a message, my notification sound doesn't play. It's not the volume setting.

I'll be in the midst of a text conversation and literally holding my phone and the active display will light up with a new message but no sound after getting multiple messages with the sound.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    You could try running in Safe Mode (disabling all apps you added without uninstalling them) and if the problem stops it is caused by an app that you added.

... Thom

3. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Android Expert
    VIP Member

I've had it happen every now and again, not a lot though. I'd say it's happened on most phones I've had, not just the X.

4. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Central NJ
    I noticed on my Galaxy Nexus that notification sounds weren't played while I was actively using the device, but it seemed like the behavior was fairly consistent.

If you're in the midst of a text conversation and holding the phone, isn't the display on? How does Active Display kick in?

5. DarkJedi

DarkJedi Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 19, 2011
    Some notifications don't make sounds (like Facebook notifications).

Also, notification sounds are muted during your "sleep hours" which is set by default.

And lastly, it doesn't make a noise if you just received a notification from the same app recently (don't know what "recent" is... maybe 15 seconds?).

These are just my observations of my Moto X... Not researched info.

6. CMNDR

CMNDR Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 25, 2009
    Student
    Worcester, MA
    I agree with DarkJedi. This is a feature of Android now a days so that your phone doesn't drive you mad when responding to a text conversation.

7. sfdroidinc

sfdroidinc Newbie

Sep 4, 2011
    Well, thanks for the responses. It is a couple messaging programs that don't always get it, and it's not because I have settings to turn off the notifications during certain hours. I think it's a bug in 4.4 personally. It's not always when the phone is just in my hands. Let's say it's on my desk and I'm getting a message every 2 minutes. If I got 10 messages while the phone is sitting idle, at least one of the messages randomly wouldn't cause a notification sound and it's kind of annoying if you don't have your eyes focused on the phone and are waiting for a response. Maybe I'll email google support about it...