1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

notification sound

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by donmeca2020, Oct 21, 2014.

1. donmeca2020

donmeca2020 Well-Known Member

Since coming from a galaxy S3 i was used to having a different sound for my text message and another one for my voicemail alert and my new forum message alert..

Is there anyway to have a separate sound for voice mail alerts and for text messages?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ripkord

ripkord Member

Install a stand alone sms app like textra

3. LaTuFu

LaTuFu Android Expert

It should be the same process as the S3. Samsung hasn't tweaked TouchWiz too much with the N4

4. donmeca2020

I'm running Apex now, as i looked apparently there is only one notification sound for everything. which is annoying, so im going to start looking a app possibly.

5. bszaronos

bszaronos Newbie

check out the app called ringtone picker. This is what I use.

6. mcbtrain929

mcbtrain929 Android Expert

If you go into the stock sms app. Do settings, notifications, then choose what you want to hear for incoming texts.

Then, whatever you set as your phone notification sound under settings, sound, notification, will be your sound for voice-mail.

7. donmeca2020

tried looking into that, unforunately it appears when you change your notifcation sound that also changes your text message sound as well

8. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

If you change your main notification sound (swipe down>settings cog>quick settings or device>sound>notification) that will be the sound used for all apps where a different sound isn't specified. The Messages app is set to use this sound by default.

In order to change your Messages notification sound you need to do it in the Messages app:

Apps>Messages>Menu(3 dots in top right corner of screen)>Settings>Notifications>Notification sound

A number of apps enable you to customise the notification sound in this way.

9. donmeca2020

Your correct DLable apps will enable a different sound for a text message, but the stocker will not. i've already tried textra and chomp, i wasn't too impressed and quickly uninstalled. still looking around to see what other good ones are available

10. donmeca2020

Since i use zedge for wallpapers and sometimes ringtones, i was able to use it to give my stock SMS app a different sound from my regular notifcations. im happy also because i actually like using the stock SMS app, i prefer its appearance and what not over other SMS apps and believe i've tried a handful this weekend.

11. MSP

MSP Lurker

Trying to set my notifications on my Note 4. When I set the sound, it applies to all notifications. I want to be able to set different tones for things like my local newspaper breaking news,sms messages, etc

12. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

Hi MSP, I moved your thread to the Note 4 forum so other Note 4 users can see it :)

MSP likes this.
  13. mattywalnuts

mattywalnuts Well-Known Member

MSP. You should be able to go into the settings of each app that you are looking to have a unique sound for. This has to be done in the app itself and not broadly through the device settings.

14. MSP

MSP Lurker

I tried that and the apps that I want to change only really have the option of turning off notifications totally.I have light flow for color notifications and that allows me to choose which apps I receive color notifications for and to choose a different color for each app. That is more of what I am looking to do

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date was October 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch screen, 16MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 805 processor, and 3220mAh battery.

October 2014
Release Date
Reviews