1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Notification Sounds - Am I Missing Something?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by tobyjuggler, Feb 10, 2011.

1. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler Well-Known Member

Can somebody let me know whether I'm right or wrong here, please?

I have a Desire HD, which has configurable Sound Sets containing four individual Notification sounds:

Notification - The default notification sound, which, unless an app specifies a different sound will be used, for notifications sent by that particular app.
    Message - For SMS and MMS messages.
    Email - For e-mails.
    Calendar - For calendar reminders.

Now my real problem. I use Setting Profiles and have two profiles for when I'm asleep. The first is simply a do not disturb profile, where everything is muted and all updates are suspended. The second is one where I like to be available by phone or text in case my workplace needs to get in touch with me. I also have a Tasker profile running that starts my wifi and updates various apps before I wake up. My problem is that under the second profile, I don't want to hear an e-mail notification, but if one comes in whilst wifi is on under Tasker then it will wake me up.

The main problem is that I can't find an app that can either load the individual sound sets or alter the individual sounds themselves. Setting Profiles only seems to deal with the default notification sound (setting all notifications to the default notification sound, I believe), as do many other similar apps I've found. Neither Setting Profiles nor Tasker seems to handle these in an easy manner, without some obscure rules. Am I missing something? Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert

Since you mentioned that you already have Tasker, the easiest way to accomplish what you're looking for is to set the notification volume to zero, and then have Tasker play a sound file using the Music Play action each time an SMS arrives using a Received Text context. Optionally, you could fill in some of the fields in the context to limit which SMS messages trigger the sound.

tobyjuggler likes this.
  3. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler Well-Known Member

Thanks for that :). I'm mostly a little surprised that these apps, which are absolutely superb, don't go down to this level, especially an app like Tasker which has so much other powerful functionality. I'm not complaining, just confused. This is my first Android phone. Did earlier versions of Android only have one single notification sound, which meant that such detail wasn't necessary or are apps unable to access this area of Android? I haven't yet found one that does.

4. cbaywolf

cbaywolf Lurker

following up on this- since i don't have Tasker (is there even a free version available?), is there another "profile" app as the OP mentions that will allow you to turn off EMAIL notification sounds, yet still allows the SMS notification sounds to work?

I'm looking for one that allows me to create different profiles (and activate them manually)- but the biggest thing that i can't find is a way to turn off the email beeps/buzzes, yet allow the SMS alerts to come in, in case of emergencies (that's how i get alerted).

Tasker just seems so convoluted (and expensive)- when all i really want to do is change notifications.