1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Notification Sounds for SMS and Email

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Earl_J, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Earl_J

Earl_J Lurker
    None

Mar 27, 2019
    I want to have DIFFERENT notification sounds for incoming SMS messages and Email messages. I cannot find the right combination of settings to make this work.

I set SMS notifications to the default sound. Then, I go to Outlook and set a different sound there. That also changes the default sound setting so now both SMS and email use the same sound. I have also tried changing the sound for SMS using Apps>Messages>Notifications but it doesn't help.

It seems that whenever I change the sound setting for either SMS or Outlook, it changes the sound for the other.

I would appreciate any help that anyone can offer. I am using all stock sounds, and the phone is not rooted.

Android version is 8.0.0

Advertisement

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Android Expert

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Graphics Manager / Sales
    USA
    The best you can do is use textra as your messaging app and maildroid as your email app. Each can do this....

PitCarver likes this.
  3. nailzer

nailzer Android Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2011
    Machinist
    Central Florida
    I don't see any way to assign individual notifications for different SMS or email. The only thing I an see that can be done is set a single notification sound.

4. kokiangel

kokiangel Android Expert

Nov 12, 2009
    Female
    Banker
    Helena, Alabama
    I downloaded a text to speech app which allowed me to customize my ringtones and notification sounds to specifically say things like "you have a new message" and "you have new mail" as well as individual ringtones for my family members and specific alarms as I keep on task throughout the day. It's been quite handy. The app I have is no longer on Google Play but I am sure there must be others.

5. Dannydet

Dannydet Android Expert

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Graphics Manager / Sales
    USA
    With textra, the way to assign individual sounds is only within a message from each person. Press within the message and choose from the upper right for a drop down menu. Assign notification sound from there.

ocnbrze likes this.
  6. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Actually this is strange because there's no reason why 2 different apps which allow you to modify their notification tones should interfere with each other. It's years since I had Outlook even installed, but there was never any linkage between that and whatever SMS app I was using at the time (which varies). And that was using an HTC device, albeit an M7 rather than a 10.

The trouble is that all I can say is that I've never met this, which means I don't have a solution. And I never used the HTC message app, just in case that is relevant.

ocnbrze likes this.
  7. tommo47

tommo47 Android Expert

Feb 5, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Shropshire
    @Earl_J - This would appear to be a glitch following the update to Android 8, a number of people mentioned it about a year ago but it may not affect all HTC 10s.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/foru...c-10/866624-notification-sounds-same.html?amp

Both my wife's and my 10 exhibit the problem but neither of us find it sufficiently annoying to think about raising it with HTC, and in any case it seems that they have been advised about it and nothing has changed.

You could try raising it with them yourself and see if they will respond.

:rolleyes::)

ocnbrze likes this.
  8. tommo47

tommo47 Android Expert

Feb 5, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Shropshire
    As a matter of interest, I did see in the link I posted someone said that WhatsApp allowed selection of an individual notification sound and I can confirm that as my wife uses WhatsApp.

The problem occurs on both our devices with the stock message app and Gmail.

ocnbrze likes this.

HTC 10

The HTC 10 is a flagship smartphone by the Taiwanese company. Announced April 12th and available May 2016, the HTC 10 features a full metal unibody design with unique chamfered edges. It was the world's first device with optical image stabilization on both the front and rear cameras.