• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Notification Sounds Not Routing to Only Earbuds

I've been trying to get notification sounds and ringtones to only play through my Bluetooth earbuds and not the system speakers at the same time, but there doesn't seem to be a functional option for that. The only thing that is close is the Samsung Sound Assistant with alerts through headphones enabled, but that either doesn't do anything or plays the sounds at a low volume that doesn't change no matter where on the slider the volume setting is for notifications and ringtones. This issue has persisted through restarts of the phone and reinstalls of the app, I only just started using it so I don't have any previous versions to compare to. Phone is an S9+ running Android 10, OneUI 2.5, and Samsung Sound Assistant 3.5.14.1.

And while I'm here, is there an app that will allow me to have different volume levels set for when Bluetooth headphones are connected or not? I want to have my phone on vibrate when any sound would go through the main speakers, but have notification, call, and ringtone volumes up when I have earbuds connected. I have tried App Volume Controller and it doesn't do the job.

I know Samsung phones with Android 11 can do that, like the Note20 and S21, via a feature in Settings called "Separate app sound", which allows you to set app notifications to only go through the BT headphones or the phone's internal speaker.

Samsungs with Android 10 I don't know, and I've never heard of this "Samsung Sound Assistant" ether. Is that a feature of the S9 phone?

Upvote 0
I know Samsung phones with Android 11 can do that, like the Note20 and S21, via a feature in Settings called "Separate app sound", which allows you to set app notifications to only go through the BT headphones or the phone's internal speaker.

Samsungs with Android 10 I don't know, and I've never heard of this "Samsung Sound Assistant" ether. Is that a feature of the S9 phone?
It seems Sound Assistant is a separate set of options that got added into Android 11, because it has the separate app sound option. However, that will only work for one app at a time, and is the app's output sound, not notification alerts or any of that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones