1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Support Notification sounds

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by g_patrick15, Feb 15, 2011.

1. g_patrick15

g_patrick15 Android Enthusiast

How do you customize the notification sounds? I'm trying to make a custom notification but it's only giving me the option to pick between the stock ones that are preloaded. I downloaded rings extended but that doesn't seem to work.

Advertisement

2. Faramir82

Faramir82 Newbie

Connect your phone to a pc and make a folder called notifications, then place the sounds you want to use in that folder.

g_patrick15 likes this.
  3. Chew

Chew Android Enthusiast

g_patrick15 likes this.
  4. g_patrick15

I have ringdroid. Creating and using the ringtones wasn't an issue. Setting said ringtones as notifications (which was simple on stock android) seems to be a problem, but I'll set up the folder for notifications and let you know how it goes.

5. Loiselle

Loiselle Well-Known Member

To get a notification tone... I created the media, audio and notifications folders on the SDcard... so it should look like this.

"sdcardroot\media\audio\notifications"

and if you want to load your own ringtones, and not make them on the phone... it should look like this...

"sdcardroot\media\audio\ringtones"

and music, like this...

"sdcardroot\media\audio\music"

hope that helps you out. make sure, though, you let the card fully refresh in the phone.

6. Faramir82

Faramir82 Newbie

That's a really good idea Loiselle, I just put mine in the SDCARDROOT.

7. g_patrick15

I just set everything up properly with linda file manager. Created the folder and moved the file accordingly. Thanks everyone!

8. snilloconator

snilloconator Well-Known Member

Thank You for the quick tutorial, this worked perfect for me.

I have one other question on ringtones. What is the best editor for ringtones from the android market?

9. snilloconator

No suggestions on a decent app for ringtones?

10. Blanco720

Blanco720 Android Enthusiast

you could always search the market for ringtones and see what apps are popular. thats what I usually do. Anything thats popular is awesome. Like Jersey shore and McDonalds.

But srsly, most the time if a lot of people have downloaded it and it has a solid rating, its probably worth a shot.

11. Loiselle

Loiselle Well-Known Member

I don't create tones on the phone, but rather on my PC. That way, I can perfectly isolate the portion of music I want. I can also fade it in and out, amplify the song or turn it down... I use Adobe Audition 3.0 to edit all of my ringtones.

12. snilloconator

I went with the following app and it does what it says.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.ringmaker

13. pinbak

pinbak Well-Known Member

I have that folder already created, sdcardroot/media/audio/notifications I placed a notification tone in there and it shows up instead in ringtones and not the notifications area...any clue?

14. snilloconator

OK I performed a soft reboot for my phone today. Pulled the battery and let the phone sit for a few. After re-booting the custom ringtone I had saved for my wife had reverted back to the default ringtone? Is this normal? That every time I perform a reboot on my phone I'll have to save the ringtone for each of my contacts?

15. majaure

majaure Lurker

I got mine to work with the Notifications folder in the sdcard.

Note: This was without the "sdcard/media/audio/notifications" method which did NOT work for me. It was simply just "sdcard/Notifications".

I had the file in the download folder of my sd card and used Astro Backup to move it to the above mentioned folder. Worked like a charm and took less than a minute.