• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Notification tones for Idividual Contacts

diwan

Lurker
Feb 29, 2012
I am coming from Blackberry to Android and one thing I am missing badly in my Samsung S Vibrant is there is no option to assign separate notification tones (for email, sms) to individual contacts. There is option for distinct ring tones (that works for incoming calls from the contacts) but I couldn't find a way to have separate notification tone for individual contacs.
I have tried Zedge, handcent but my issue remains the same. I think this option comes built-in to OS of cell phones like Blackberry have but Android phones haven't looked into this feature yet. Any Android/Samsung geek may verify this missing feature OR pl help me if there is any solution for this.
I have noticed people mixing this issue with RINGTONES for individual contacts and I am not asking for that, I am looking for option to have NOTIFICATION TONES (for email, sms) for individual contacts.
Thanks

I don't know about Handcent, but the individual SMS tone is possible in GoSMS. Simply open the thread for that contact, tap the menu button, then tap notifications and you can setup the tone you want for that contact. Poke around on Handcent to see if there is a similar procedure (if you haven't already).

I can't help with email as I don't try to do anything like that. My best guess is maybe an email app from the Market would have the option to set individual notification tones.

Reactions: diwan
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones