• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help notification tones

chrlswltrs

Extreme Android User
Nov 12, 2009
Seattle
Is there a way to change the default notification tone for text messages and have all other notifications use a different tone?

I like the "Droid" notification for most things (email, downloads, etc) but I want to use a tone I created in ringdroid for text messages only.

*edit*
Never mind - dumb post, figured it out. That's what I get for posting a question when I have had the phone lesa than 24 hours!

I'm having trouble with this. I also like the "Droid" sound, but I get so many emails that I want to have my email notification silent. I've gone into the account settings menu in the email app and tried to change the ringtone to silent, but it keeps changing itself back to the default ringtone. What am I doing wrong?

Upvote 0
Is there a way to change the default notification tone for text messages and have all other notifications use a different tone?

I like the "Droid" notification for most things (email, downloads, etc) but I want to use a tone I created in ringdroid for text messages only.

*edit*
Never mind - dumb post, figured it out. That's what I get for posting a question when I have had the phone lesa than 24 hours!

Open the Messaging App... Hit the soft key Menu Button----> Select Rigntone.

You can do this for gmail, facebook, and other programs as well.

edit:

"Driod Settings"
From home screen:
Menu-->Sound&Display-->Notification Ringtone
The default notification sound if not specified elsewhere.

"Messaging Settings" txt mms
Fron Messaging app:
Menu-->Select Ringtone
The ringtone for the Messaging app... sms. mms.

"Gmail Settings"
wash rinse repeat enjoy... explore :D

Upvote 0
I'd like to have all notifications other than phone vibrate. When I go to Settings > Notifications in the default messaging app I can choose Select sound or Vibrate. As I understand this, it will play a sound only or play a sound and vibrate, but not vibrate only. Am I wrong on this? Why would there be a vibrate only option for notifications?

Upvote 0
I'd like to have all notifications other than phone vibrate. When I go to Settings > Notifications in the default messaging app I can choose Select sound or Vibrate. As I understand this, it will play a sound only or play a sound and vibrate, but not vibrate only. Am I wrong on this? Why would there be a vibrate only option for notifications?

try doing this:

Android Settings--->Sound and Display---Notification ringtone--->[silent]

Gmail--->Menu--->Settings---Select ringtone--->[silent]
Gmail--->Menu--->Settings---Vibrate--->[Check ON]

Messaging--->Menu--->Settings---Select ringtone--->[silent]
Messaging--->Menu--->Settings---Vibrate--->[Check ON]

Rinse and repeat for any other programs that notify you... Facebook, Handcent, Google Voice, ect...

Reactions: lgwhitlock
Upvote 0
Android Settings--->Sound and Display---Notification ringtone--->[silent]

"silent" is not an option in this menu. Its also missing from messaging menu. Is this a "feature" of the Sense UI?

i use rings extended.. check it out Rings Extended v1.1 Application for Android | Tools

gives you more control over what can be set as a tone...

if you install that, next time you try to set a tone, you will have the option to use the android system or rings extended to set the tone. i've been using it on my moto droid since day one.

Reactions: Tiffany623
Upvote 0
Doh, it is there. I was looking at contact ringtones. Its only available when setting a notification. I want to have "Droid" play when I USB connect but have a different sound for email, etc.

Thanks

Android Settings--->Sound and Display---Notification ringtone--->[Droid]
Gmail--->Menu--->Settings---Select ringtone--->[....]
Messaging--->Menu--->Settings---Select ringtone--->[....]
ect..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones