1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Notifications and Gmail sync?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by adamwebb28, Sep 15, 2011.

1. adamwebb28

adamwebb28 Lurker

Hi All

New Android user here, coming from WP7.

A couple of quick questions, does Gmail only sync when the the gmail app is running, so if I close Gmail from the Task Manager I don't get new emails?

Also, can I set the interval Gmail checks for new email or is it Push?

Does the same apply for the email app and other apps like Facebook?

Thanks for any help!

Advertisement

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

Welcome to AF & Android! :)

If you close the gmail app, you wouldn't get emails. It may be regarded as a core app though so you might find it starts itself up again. There is no need to close it though, it's fine just to leave it running in the background.

You used to be able to change the interval it checks for email, but you can't any more so I'm going to presume it's push. I've autosync turned off, I use K9 for emails etc and that's setup for push/IMAP. The default mail app on your handset may differ.

For FB, you should be able to control the frequency of that via the accounts & sync menu: (Settings -> Accounts & Sync).

Which handset do you own btw?

3. adamwebb28

adamwebb28 Lurker

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've got the Samsung Galaxy S 2 from O2 UK.

Does leaving Gmail open affect battery life much?

4. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

If it's push, it won't have much of an impact cos it's not constantly asking the server for mail.

If you've issues with battery life, turn off autosync and use the default mail app/K9 or similar. That was a massive help for me (that was before they updated the gmail app and removed the sync frequency settings though).

5. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Yes, it essentially runs on push. Although it's implemented in a bit of an unusual way that means autosync needs to be on, whereas K9 doesn't require it to be on to receive pushed emails from gmail.

6. Remeniz

Remeniz Android Enthusiast

As far as I know gmail pushes notifications to your phone instantly.

I just set it up when I first got my SGS2 and as soon as new emails arrive on the server I get told straight away.

EDIT: Ah, Xyro beat me to it! :D

7. adamwebb28

adamwebb28 Lurker

Thanks for your help!

Realised I had auto sync turned off, just started receiving emails instantly!