• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Notifications driving you mad?

The Hoff

Oct 18, 2010
I've recently had the displeasure of being woken up to various degrees by the companies that choose to time their mailshots at 4am.

For those of you suffering the same fate, I decided I may save some of you time researched solutions by posting this:

There are numerous applications on the Market that will soon become your best friend, and depending on your needs some may suit you more than others.

My saviour comes in the form of "Sound Manager" a free app, which allows you to create profiles that suit your needs. There's also an app called "Bedtime" which gets very good reviews, and allows you to use it as a bedtime clock, presumably for those with a docking station.

Please feel free to add further suggestions if there's something you've tried and tested.

Sleep well :)

Sound Manager does everything I need it to, which amounts to letting me sleep without interruption. I still like to check my inbox in the morning and my phone is charged overnight so power is of no concern.

I'll take a look at Tasker, looks fully featured, but may be OTT for what I (and others) require.

Upvote 0
I downloaded Tasker, it's very powerful, very in depth and somewhat of a learning curve to understand its usage fully. However once I've had a good think about how best I can apply it I'm sure it will be very useful.

arlrb, automation is a magnificent thing, you should embrace it and get out of the 90's :)

Upvote 0
I downloaded Tasker, it's very powerful, very in depth and somewhat of a learning curve to understand its usage fully. However once I've had a good think about how best I can apply it I'm sure it will be very useful.

arlrb, automation is a magnificent thing, you should embrace it and get out of the 90's :)
It's pretty easy in Tasker. What I do is create new profile to set a variable called %NightMode and set it to "On" between the hours of 23:30 and 5:30. Then, I set another profile to switch the sound to low if %NightMode is On.

I also use Screen Filter to turn the screen brightness lower. It is an app which then adds a plugin into Tasker. It's pretty cool because at night, I don't want a bright screen waking me up (screwing up the Circadian Rhythm). I set mine to 12% at night and then 100% during the day (which means its disabled).

I use the %NightMode variable in other places and times so I decided to separate it into two profiles.

Hope that helps,

Tim

p.s. I use Tasker for the following: Turn on Wifi when I get close to home, Turn on my Bluetooth when I open a music app, Turn off my Bluetooth when I turn off my BT headset, Darken my screen when I open certain apps, Brighten my screen when I open certain apps, and Silence my phone when my calendar shows that I have a meeting.

I also have a device called TellStick which remotely controls the lights, so when I get home at a certain time and it connects to Wifi (ie I step inside the door), all my lights turn on.

I would love it to do more, but I don't know how to write scripts or anything. I just do simple triggers.

Upvote 0
Tasker is definitely a testament to the brilliance of the human mind. Worth taking an hour or two out and playing around with it to get an idea of just exactly what it's capable of.

For anyone who just needs location based tasks, Spoty Location Reminder is another option. The free version is a time limited trial version but the full app can be bought relatively inexpensively on the market.

It's obviously far more limited than Tasker and only deals with location based tasks but it can be a bit more user friendly and straight forward to configure than Tasker.

Upvote 0
Is there a simple app that can handle e-mail notifications and SMS notifications separately?

Use SMS Popup from the market. If you disable notifications via the stock message app, you can let SMS Popup handle SMS for you. You can then use the stock mail app to handle your email notifications.

Reactions: tobyjuggler
Upvote 0
Use SMS Popup from the market. If you disable notifications via the stock message app, you can let SMS Popup handle SMS for you. You can then use the stock mail app to handle your email notifications.
Thanks, I'll try this, but it doesn't look like what I'm looking for. I should have been clearer in my previous post as I actually meant notification sounds.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones