1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Notifications not working on Wi-Fi, only on 3G/4G

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by swedishmontana, Jan 13, 2014.

1. swedishmontana

None

Jan 13, 2014
    I live in a neighborhood with spotty 3G, so a couple of days ago I figured it'd be easier to keep my WiFi on (and better on my battery) my device, and while it has been phenomenal on my battery, I'm no longer getting notifications from my apps. The second I turn WiFi off and go back to 3G/4G (depending where I am), I get a barrage of notifications at once backlogged from the time spent on Wifi. I have the setting "Keep Wifi on during sleep" set to Always, so that is not the issue.
    Has anyone else had this problem or have a solution?

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    It depends on the apps. For instance, you won't get messages (SMS) on wifi. Other apps may also not use wifi.

The solution - not a practical one after the fact - is to always make sure you get coverage where you need it from the carrier you want. If you don't, choose a different carrier.

Most apps should use 2G if there's no 3G. (Unless there's no 2G coverage either, then I'd use that to demand to be let out of the contract - they're supposed to know where their coverage holes are, and they knew your address.)

3. mydian

mydian Android Expert

Apr 8, 2012
    Male
    2-Way Radio Repair Technician
    Chicagoland
    I still get sms messages while connected to WiFi. I realize the SMS doesn't use the WiFi network but saying SMS won't go through is incorrect. My wife and I are always on WiFi at home and we text from room to room every day. Data kicks on in the background for a split second to allow the SMS to go through. If I watch my phone closely I'll see the 3G or 4G icon show up next to the WiFi signal bars real fast and then disappear. That being said you must have some cell signal or SMS won't go through since they do not pass over WiFi. If that's what you meant Rukbat then I apologize for misunderstanding your post.

Sorry I can't be of more help for the other notifications not going through. Sometimes I notice when I leave my house and I switch back to 4G I'll get some email or Facebook notifications come through. I haven't figured that out yet. I've never had a problem with SMS or MMS though.

4. swedishmontana

None

Jan 13, 2014
    Thank you guys for the replies;
    SMS is unaffected for me. My texting reception was never the issue, just the fact I am not getting notifications while on WiFi.
    On 3G/4G I get notifications very quickly with no issue, so I don't think it's a matter of my phone carrier's ability in my neighborhood.
    The issue lies JUST with WiFi, which is pretty weird. Still haven't been able to figure it out.
    I started a live chat with a Samsung rep last night and they suggested I turn "Auto update apps with Wifi only" on in the Google Play store. That didn't work either.

5. mydian

mydian Android Expert

Apr 8, 2012
    Male
    2-Way Radio Repair Technician
    Chicagoland
    Wow what a horrible suggestion from Samsung. No way would that have anything to do with it. You don't have any task killers or "battery savers" (they do the opposite) installed do you? Otherwise I'd start looking at the router.