• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Notifications/sms doesn't follow mail sound setting :-(

On my S5 I can swith between "sound", "vibration" and "silent" from the notification bar.

BUT this only affect the ringing 100%. Alerts for event, e-mail and messages only partly follow.

Like if I switch to vibration I get no vibration for messages - unless I have checked for vibration there.

But if I check for "vibration" for messages I get that always - also when the main mode is "sound":

This I very annoying. From my old Nokia I was used to profiles.

Where you could set "sound, vibration or silent" for all types of alerts for all profiles.

I'd like the alerts to follow the main setting:

- Sound: Ring for call, Alert sound for message and alerts (and NO vibration in addition)

- Vibration: Vibration for call, Vibration for all messages and alerts (and NO sound in addition)

- Silent: NO sound NOR vibrations for anything (and the includes calls, messages and alerts)!!

Is this possible on Android, or do I have to edit message and alerts setting everytime :-(

Problem is that sometimes I want sound for all (ringing, messages, e-mail).
Sometimes I want vibrations for all. Sometimes I want completly silence.
The icon in the notification area only changes this for the ringing tone.

So if I have sound for all for normal. Then I need to go to a meeting...
Then I have to change from sound to vibration 3 or 4 difrerent places.

If I want the phone to be all quiet the same...

Why doesn't the "sound -> vibration -> silent -> sound" icon contral ALL sounds.

If I set message notifications to "vibrate" then it will vibrate when I set ringing tone to "sound" or "silent" too. If I set message notification to "sound" then I will get no vibration when I change to "vibration" for ring-tone (and will miss my messages).

Seems like there is no logic here :-(

Upvote 0
I thought there is a trigger to Mute all sounds?

never tried it to see how much/little that it controls.

Okay, I am died in the wool MacroDroid fanatic, and your problem has driven me to try and see if MD can help you.

Try this out:

Trigger: Phone Silenced
Action: Set Volume
.... check this list as you wish to kill the audio

• Alarm
  • Music
  • Notification
  • Ringer
  • System Sounds
  • Voice Call
  • Bluetooth Voice

Now slide the blue dot on the Volume slide rule to the left as far as it will go.
Touch OK.

You should see two outlines labeled Trigger: Silent Mode Enable
and Actions: with the icon showing a speaker

Now touch the Right Arrow at the top of the screen.

Ignore Constraints, and touch the Right Arrow again.

Touch the Name bar to bring up the keyboard and label it Sounds OFF
and press OK.

You should next be presented with the Main MacroDroid menu screen.

Press "List Macros" and you should see your macro listed there. I am presuming there will be only the 1 macro as I doubt you have used this app before.

I am pretty sure that this will work, I just tried it and it seems to do what it says it will.

Upvote 0
Are you saying when you put the phone on mute not everything mutes? I understand about you wanting different profiles but when I put mine on mute my ring tone does not sound, my text does not beep my slot game notification does not ding to let me know it's time for coins, no sounds plays at all even my system sounds mute so nothing beeps when I touch to open screens or press keys to text. If I am not understanding that part of your problem sorry but on mute no sounds play on my phone weather I have them set to on in the first place or not. Mary

Upvote 0
Are you saying when you put the phone on mute not everything mutes? I understand about you wanting different profiles but when I put mine on mute my ring tone does not sound, my text does not beep my slot game notification does not ding to let me know it's time for coins, no sounds plays at all even my system sounds mute so nothing beeps when I touch to open screens or press keys to text. If I am not understanding that part of your problem sorry but on mute no sounds play on my phone weather I have them set to on in the first place or not. Mary

Wasn't me, my phone mutes also.... I was just trying to help the OP with his complaint.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones