1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Nov. Maintenance OTA Update Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cartisdm, Nov 4, 2010.

1. mtollin

mtollin Member

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. HarleyChick

HarleyChick Well-Known Member

NE Ohio here. Got mine when I turned phone on this morning. So far no problems. V-Cast is junk as is Slacker, but who cares; I just ignore them anyway.

One thing though that I found interesting. When the update popped up, I hit Install and it instantly said I didn't have enough battery for the installation and to plug in my phone and retry. I had 44% battery life left! I just switched out battery and it was cool, but it barely sucked any battery down at all during the update. Just thought I'd mention it.

3. jayjay1122

jayjay1122 Android Expert

It SHOULD work like the OTA in that it will not wipe your phone.

4. Phydeaux

Phydeaux Android Enthusiast

Just installed the OTA, now all my customizations in handcent have been reset and any attempt to change them force-closes the app.

How did I know this wasn't going to be a seamless process. :(

5. jayjay1122

Strange, mine all stayed the way they were...did you try a reboot or a battery pull?

Neither can hurt.

6. Dream

Dream Android Enthusiast

Your location has NOTHING to do with when you get the update people.

Divine_Madcat and jayochs like this.
  7. bttang83

bttang83 Lurker

8. Mitch R.

Mitch R. On Probation

Seems to have charged all the way up while the phone was powered on, I'll have to see how the drain is today, but so far it looks better.

9. nimbuscrenel

nimbuscrenel Newbie

This.

10. modelyacht

modelyacht Member

Got the update early this morning, and installed it.

Battery seems to be dropping MUCH faster than yesterday.
    I was at about 54% when I got home last evening.
    I'm at 61% today and it's not even lunch time.

And the icon thing shouldn't have made it past the testers. Especially since the bloatware offers new ways to acquire apps, and you'd think they tried moving apps around the page and would have caught that duplicate icon bug. What a joke this update is...

Zillow doesn't appear to be loading right, and my stock app and palmary weather don't want to update either...things that normally work fine.

Battery already down to 57% since I started this post...

Seems the "cell standby" is using more juice than normal too...

11. jayjay1122

I get what you are saying about the bloatware, but the battery draining must be something else. Have you checked your Up Time vs. Awake Time?

12. modelyacht

modelyacht Member

currently up time 2:42 awake time 1:19

13. skunis1

skunis1 Android Enthusiast

What version of Slacker does this OTA install? I already had Slacker v. 2.1.94. Is there a more up to date version I should have gotten?

14. skunis1

I believe it may take a couple of days and charging cycles to get back to where you were at. I remember with the Froyo OTA my battery looked like it was draining faster but after a couple of charge cycles it was back to normal.

The OTA may have reset the battery meter to like it was out of the box new.

15. jayjay1122

Hmmm...is 50% awake time normal for you?
    I only ask because since the update my battery seems about the same.

16. jayjay1122

Same here!

Not knocking your theory, but I could see that after a factory reset, but a straight up OTA?

17. modelyacht

modelyacht Member

Really upset that my apps don't want to refresh...
    I suspect its related to why the battery is draining.

18. euph_22

euph_22 Android Expert

But if they did tweak how the phone charges, they MIGHT have cleared the battery stats (I also doubt they did that, but it's possible).

19. jayjay1122

Agreed!

20. jayjay1122

I absolutely hate suggesting this, but maybe a factory reset is in order. Sounds like something odd is happening.

21. skunis1

I had this issue after I manually installed 2.2 and I did it without a factory reset. Took a couple of days to reset the battery meter.

22. modelyacht

modelyacht Member

- Well the update isn't really from us, it's from the manufacturer...
    - I don't see a Task Killer on here...
    - We'll I'd recommend a factory reset, sometimes updates don't sit right...

Thanks for nothing but a wasted 30 minutes.

At least they offered to replace it if that doesn't fix it.

Off to create a list of my apps...

23. answerman

answerman Android Enthusiast

Yes. And XDA appears to have confirmed that the kernel included in the original 2.2 update was the reason for the slower charge. The new update has a new kernel, which restores the charging rate to 2.1 levels. However, it does not affect the "bump charging" syndrome.

24. daevidlee

daevidlee Lurker

2n3904

So my family all has iPhones (all w/ 3Gs and I'm the only Droid person...loving my Droid Inc). They all live in different states. We text each other. They will randomly throw in Emoji. I have no clue what they are. So I found a way to change a font to enable reading most Emoji. Could ONLY do that if I rooted. I bought my Droid Inc on Apr 29 and researched it till October. Finally in early October I rooted. Glad I did.

Also, Cache Clear is a root only app that has made me very happy. I am sure there are other ways to clear the cache, but this is by far the easiest.

I have worked with some beta Android apps and have needed to take a few screen shots, it may not be important to you, but screen shots are important. I don't always have my laptop with me, so I need some way to capture a screen, via my droid, for sending it in.

Very glad I rooted. Many thanks to those at UnrEVOked for making it so painless.

25. danoack

danoack Newbie

What the hell does Slacker have to do with Verizon and HTC?

Why is there an update to slacker? Shouldn't I just go to Slacker to get an update.

Got the update, now my car wont start, the power went on in the house and the wife says were having triplets.

Last goddamn time I EVER get an update.

HTC Droid Incredible Forum

The HTC Droid Incredible release date was April 2010. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

April 2010
Release Date
Reviews