• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nova has night mode now! (beta)

The arbitrary change problem that I encountered the most was in the pre-installed apps that came were added to the system. Every new major release had arbitrary changes. This included the launcher provided in the update.

The solution was to use apps that I like that arte not controlled by the manufacturer. All of them ... quality ... incremental improvements over the years. These include ...

A+ Gallery Photos & Videos
chompsSMS
Nova Launcher Prime
Pixel Phone Pro
Real Calc Plus
Tasker and Tasker App Factory
X-plore File Manager

Some that I previously recommended have gone bad over the years and cannot be trusted ...

ANYTHING from Cheetah Mobile including Clean Master
Boat Browser
ES File Manager (when used for anything that requires a username/password)

Using an older version of those only gives the appearance of solving a problem. They are dangerous. They can not be trusted.

... Thom

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
I still have some non-updated apps. I have the original paid Weatherbug on a tablet - no social and crowd junk.
The same for Audubon birds. They have added a social site that interferes with a few things if you don't want it.

As long as the original install works, I'm not updating.

The same goes for keyboards that add languages I don't speak. Adding emoji doesn't interest me, either. I'd like to delete them and just have the key used for whatever instead of emoji popping up on long press.

Nova is a great launcher. I see that those who did update are satisfied which speaks well of the product.
I'd still prefer more thorough reviews for anything.

For example:
Reading the blurbs for the Vivaldi browser that just got out of beta aren't telling me the all the info I want to know. I'd prefer more info so I can make up my mind as to whether any risks outweigh the benefits. No one tells you the risks.

With Nova launcher, my tablet is still running 4.1. It's used for MLB At Bat and reference, so no big security problem since I usually don't use the browser and it's wifi only with no social media on it. At Bat is direct connect. The tablet can't be updated. I would prefer to know more about borderline versions of the OS and updates. You will see notices that an app requires such and such or won't work on 2.2 but that's as far as it goes. Makes you wonder about updating anything.

Reactions: Thom
Upvote 0
Yes. I think the starting point is to have a strategy. The first question to be answered is when do you plan to replace the device you are working on?

If the answer is ... never or when it simply dies ... that has one strategy.
If the answer is ... when the next product upgrade is released ... that has a different strategy.

WeatherBug -- I have the most current WeatherBug installed and the last release of WeatherBug Elite. I only use WeatherBug Elite and hope they will start supporting it again. I don't use apps with embedded ads and always support the developers.

... Thom

Reactions: MLSS
Upvote 0
Does this beta replace the market version of the app, or lay a version down beside it?
It's an either or thing

You can opt into the beta channel and get the updated features early... Or stay on the standard one and you'll get them after the beta users have tested it for you (and survived to tell the tale)

Reactions: electricpete
Upvote 0
It's an either or thing

You can opt into the beta channel and get the updated features early... Or stay on the standard one and you'll get them after the beta users have tested it for you (and survived to tell the tale)
Thanks. I am a SwiftKey beta user, and I like that if the current beta is too buggy for me, I always have the most recent stable version available to drop back to.

What experience have you had running the beta? To be honest, I've pretty much been going with Action Launcher 3 since getting my LG G4, but there are times when I do miss Nova. I still have it installed...

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
I'm very happy with it... I have a couple of different devices running the beta and love that I can back up my nova Launcher settings to the cloud and copy the layout straight to a different device.

Stabilitywise I havent had any problems at all...

Before I went full nova I'd played with touchwiz trebuchet ADW go and Google... And found nova to work for me.

Unlikely to switch now unless they completely screw things up

Reactions: AZgl1500 and Thom
Upvote 0
I've had one problem with the beta, f you change Widget Drawer format and then display the drawer it is blank. If you display something else and then display the drawer the change is incorporated.

The current (non beta) had some problems misallocating or hiding new apps that were added to the app drawer. This seems to be fixed in the beta.

... Thom

Reactions: MLSS
Upvote 0
I'm very happy with it... I have a couple of different devices running the beta and love that I can back up my nova Launcher settings to the cloud and copy the layout straight to a different device.

I have done this twice now, and it works like a charm.

My new Note 4, is exactly like my S5 is/was... the S5 is still in service

Upvote 0
uploadfromtaptalk1460686507493.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones