• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nova Launcher vs. Go Launcher

Recently, I switched from Go to Nova. I needed a change and after looking around a bit, I decided to go with Nova. Shortly after I downloaded it, I found that my battery was draining quite a bit more than usual. I went from about 1-2 charges a day to 4 or 5 charges a day (My work requires me to use my phone... A LOT!).

Has anybody else had a problem with nova discharging their battery quite a bit?

Very strange. I've had no issues with Nova (or any launcher for that matter) affect my battery draining. Um..I'd say pull Widget Locker out for a day, see what happens. Also, just for kicks, do a battery pull when you can just to rule anything hung up behind the scenes.

Annnnnd lastly...Have you thought about rooting? I know, I know, it's what everyone says to do. I was one of those people too who went "omg stop telling me to root, I don't want to!". But, it does offer the option of custom Kernels for better battery life for many people. Just wanted to throw that out, in case it's something you might be interested in, or at least to keep in the back of your mind.

But if you went from minimal charging with Go, and then it only changed after Nova/WL installs, I'd say revert those and test (pull your battery to clear it's cobwebs, so to speak). And keep us updated :)

Upvote 0
Very strange. I've had no issues with Nova (or any launcher for that matter) affect my battery draining. Um..I'd say pull Widget Locker out for a day, see what happens. Also, just for kicks, do a battery pull when you can just to rule anything hung up behind the scenes.

Annnnnd lastly...Have you thought about rooting? I know, I know, it's what everyone says to do. I was one of those people too who went "omg stop telling me to root, I don't want to!". But, it does offer the option of custom Kernels for better battery life for many people. Just wanted to throw that out, in case it's something you might be interested in, or at least to keep in the back of your mind.

But if you went from minimal charging with Go, and then it only changed after Nova/WL installs, I'd say revert those and test (pull your battery to clear it's cobwebs, so to speak). And keep us updated :)

I have plans to root my phone however, I won't do it until November. My job requires me to use my phone basically 24/7, i'm afraid that i'll lose everything I need or that my phone will go wonky. I know I know, I can back it up but I just don't want to risk anything.
For now, I think i'll try switching back to GO and see if that fixes my issue. I've never had to charge a phone as much as I charge this one. :(

Upvote 0
I have plans to root my phone however, I won't do it until November. My job requires me to use my phone basically 24/7, i'm afraid that i'll lose everything I need or that my phone will go wonky. I know I know, I can back it up but I just don't want to risk anything.
For now, I think i'll try switching back to GO and see if that fixes my issue. I've never had to charge a phone as much as I charge this one. :(

Yeah, it's just strange. When you said you only had 1-2 charges a day, was that pre-GO and stuff on your Nexus? or on the HTC you had? You sound like you've been experienced in phones pretty decent, so aside from the usual "brightness, time-out settings, check synch schedules, etc" stuff..I'll wait to see what you manage with the changes.

Upvote 0
You may try out Apex. It's very light on memory, battery from what I see. Feels pretty smooth with more options than Nova.

Indeed. I used Apex for several months until recently, then switched back to Nova. While both are awesome, Nova and Apex pretty much have the exact same customization options now with a few minor exceptions. However, I've noticed that Nova is slightly smoother/faster in most areas now. Esp. if you opt. in the beta updates for their JB code-based launcher.

Upvote 0
Depending on what widgets you're using with Widgetlocker and your homescreen, there can be a noticeable drain in the battery. I noticed this when I started to use UCCW.

FYI, when you root your phone (GNex) for the first time, it will wipe everything.

UCCW is terrible for battery drain! Very pretty what you can do with it though.

I've unlocked and rooted this phone twice now, and even though I backed everything up I still never lost what was on the internal SD. Was that a fluke, or is it just how the Galaxy Nexus Toolkit works?

Upvote 0
For me, Nova is the best, really nice features and easy to use. Customizable

If you like Nova, give Apex a try. They're almost identical except Apex has more options. The only things both Nova and Apex are missing is the ability to change the icon sizes on the home screens, and to make folders within the app drawer. If they had those, they would both be perfect.

Upvote 0
I much prefer Nova, so much more fluid
I don't notice any difference in performance between the two. Each app will run differently for individual phones (both run very well on mine), plus it will be strictly a matter of preference to what best suites your needs.

Yeah, nova was designed more for ICS and now implemented jelly bean. Are you running the latest beta?
Nova settings/check for updates click the three dots, click beta

I had it, but went back to the stable version. I can't remember what the bug was that I found (I did report it) but it was one I couldn't live with. I did purchase Nova Prime, but wished I hadn't since I found Apex to have a few of the features I want that Nova is missing. Both are amazing launchers, but I prefer the extra settings in Apex.

Upvote 0
UCCW is terrible for battery drain! Very pretty what you can do with it though.

I've unlocked and rooted this phone twice now, and even though I backed everything up I still never lost what was on the internal SD. Was that a fluke, or is it just how the Galaxy Nexus Toolkit works?

I used the SDK prior to the toolkit becoming available. I honestly don't know how the toolkit differs from that method. I've only used the toolkit to reflash a stock image or custom recovery.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones