1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Nova launcher vs other launchers

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by alpha2k, Feb 13, 2014.

1. alpha2k

alpha2k Android Expert
    None

Nov 19, 2009
    Call this anal, ocd, whatever you want to label it, but the fact remains it IS there and I have the pics to show it is there. If I seem a little irritated I am a bit, just seems like people wanna say things like "NO your WRONG and that's the end of it" type of attitude, and it gets really irritateing because I then have to litterally draw a picture for people or explain in detail to them or in this case show pics, for them to finally see the thing that they said wasn't there.

Ok rant off....that being said, this concerns nova launcher and other launchers.

Nova launcher has this weird thing about the icons (name off or name on ) it doesn't matter it has the same affect, it's off centered in the icon grid.

I refer you to said post of pics of apex launcher and nova launcher showing the difference between the 2 instead of cluttering up this thread with more of the exact same pics.

xda-developers - View Single Post - [APP][4.0+] Nova Launcher - 2.3beta3 November 15

If pics are still needed, I can post them.

As you will see nova launcher DOES have what I call, and "off centered" icon grid, the icon sits at the upper top of the icon box, where as the other launchers such as apex, adw, and a few others I have used, sdo not have this affect.

So that brings me to my question....those of you knowledgeable about nova launcher, is there a setting I am missing or perhaps some way this can be fixed or changed without tearing into the apk file?, which I really don't want to do and will not do.

If not then I will move on to another launcher, sadly, becuase I like nova above all the other launchers, but the off centered icons makes for I guess you'd call it wonky alignment home screens when you stack two 4x2 icon pics on the screen......you really notice it when you swipe because you have like the 4x2 on one screen then swipe over thand the normal smaller icons are out of whack with the rest of the screens simply because they sit higher up.

Again, yes it may be anal, or ocd to some, but if I am looking into buying a product, namely nova launcher at the moment, it's NOT a matter of ocd or anal, it's more a matter of preference, simple as that, because if it CAN be fixed via a setting or something I can do, and maybe have missed somewhere, then it boils down to setting that.

You buy a painting that cost a million dollars, or a car that cost 40 grand, or a house, or ANYthing else, be it a dollar or a trillion dollars, it's the principle of the whole thing......your gonna expect it to be what "you" the buyer wants, not others who think your being to picky, or to anal, or ocd of sorts. I really do fail to see why people have to think others have to think or act or do things the way I or YOU do things, that then does not make us individuals now does it. So call it and label it what you want to, I'm just hoping and/or looking for a fix if there is one.

So if you have a solution of fix, I'd be grateful to hear it.

PS: I apologize for the small semi-rant and thank you for putting up with this post I feel a little better at least :).

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    I'd also like to be able to rename the icons (Data ON-OFF is a widget and has no name), but the only program that does exactly what you want, exactly the way you want it, is the one you wrote. Until tomorrow, when you change your mind.

3. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    In the most polite way.. tl;dr lol but the Nova dev is an Android Forums member so he's the best person you could ask and he runs a g+ community and beta program so if you cant get him on here, hit him up via his playstore email link or g+ :thumbup:

4. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Oh, I wasn't complaining, just commenting (as every programmer knows) that for every program, every programmer says, "... except I would have ...". Nova is about the first app I put on any new phone. Then my backup program so I can restore everything else. But on Nova, not on touch and whiz.

Since he might read this, thank you, sir, for one of the best launchers I've ever used.

5. !on

!on Android Expert
    None

Aug 14, 2011
    Male
    UK
    Nova launcher is the one I settled on. I've had similar gripes with other launchers when resizing widgets there was either too much of a gap or the widget is resized & the content within does not follow (like, text is cut off, etc). You have to get the balance between grid size & resizing widgets.

I much prefer to have four dock icons (without the app drawer icon), I set the home button to open the app drawer instead. Looks much tidier.