• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Now I can't use moto voice to send SMS messages

Papamalo

Android Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2011
Oakland
Hello all. and thank for checking out my plea for help.

For over two years now, I have been able to easily both call, and text message sms messages, hands free using moto voice, with my moto x pure.
All I had to do before was say my activation phrase, "David Bowie" then say who I wanted to call, "kelly" for example, and then the phone would talk back to me, saying , "Send message to Kelly using SMS, sure! What's the message?" At which point the bleep would let me know when to start talking, and would turn my voice to text and ask if I wanted to send the message.

NOW, suddenly as of last week, it goes through the whole process fine, but when it gets to the bleep letting me know when to start talking, the ENTIRE SCREEN GOES BLANK, and at the bottom I see the "can't reach google at the moment" google cloud error icon.

It worked fine before, any way to allow me to complete sms messages hands free without this new problem?

NOTE: I can guide through READING all my sms messages, by saying "read my messages" but when it gets to the bleep for telling it which message to read, or what to do, skip, or listen, the same blank screen and "can't reach google at the moment" error blank window comes up right after the bleep prompt.

THanks!
IB

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigdogtom
Reactions: Clementine_3
Upvote 0
Hello all. and thank for checking out my plea for help.

For over two years now, I have been able to easily both call, and text message sms messages, hands free using moto voice, with my moto x pure.
All I had to do before was say my activation phrase, "David Bowie" then say who I wanted to call, "kelly" for example, and then the phone would talk back to me, saying , "Send message to Kelly using SMS, sure! What's the message?" At which point the bleep would let me know when to start talking, and would turn my voice to text and ask if I wanted to send the message.

NOW, suddenly as of last week, it goes through the whole process fine, but when it gets to the bleep letting me know when to start talking, the ENTIRE SCREEN GOES BLANK, and at the bottom I see the "can't reach google at the moment" google cloud error icon.

It worked fine before, any way to allow me to complete sms messages hands free without this new problem?

NOTE: I can guide through READING all my sms messages, by saying "read my messages" but when it gets to the bleep for telling it which message to read, or what to do, skip, or listen, the same blank screen and "can't reach google at the moment" error blank window comes up right after the bleep prompt.

THanks!
IB
I have the same problem. It's been driving me crazy! Texas just passed a texting and driving law so voice texting has become vital when driving in Texas. I tried the uninstalling the google apple and reinstall and it fixed the problem temporary. By the next morning it went back to not working. Things I noticed is that google voice "ok google detection" get's turned off and greyed out so it can't be turned back on.

SOOOO I tried slick wicks I deal of turning off the voice in the Moto app and that worked. It makes the moto app not usable because the voice is shut off. Now I'm going to have to use the Ok Google command to get to text or phone while driving.

Upvote 0
Had this exact problem on my Droid Turbo lately. I retrograded to Google App 7.1.29 and is working fine at the moment. I tried uninstalling all updates but it went back to version 6.1.x which had very little capabiliity.

I unchecked Auto-update in the play store and will wait for the bug to get fixed I guess. Disabling Moto Voice defeats the usability of the device since it's the only thing that will wake it when screen is off.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones