1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Now I have custom boot animation and VM stock boot animation

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by thefabfive, Jul 4, 2011.

1. thefabfive

thefabfive Lurker
    None

May 23, 2011
    I tried to change the stock boot animation on my OV, but ran into some differences from cases outlines here and on other forums. My VM boot animation seems to be located in /bootimages/ and the sound is in /system/sounds/poweron/. The bootimages are named "sprint_power_on_xx.rle".

Rather than messing with these files I added a custom boot animation into the /data/local/ directory. Now I have both boot animations on my phone. I thought (wrongly) that if there was a boot animation in data/local than the stock would not show.

Would deleting the files in /bootimages/ and /system/sounds/poweron/ be the way to go? I didn't want to delete files without some expert advice.

Advertisement

2. thefabfive

thefabfive Lurker
    None

May 23, 2011
    just figured out that while the VM boot animation remains, the android boot animation (basically a logo) has been replaced by the custom boot animation. ideally I would change the VM bootimages with custom ones, but they are .rle and I'm not sure how to generate these files.

btw, running a rooted stock ROM

3. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus
    None

May 13, 2011
    Laborer (all the dirty nasty work nobody else want
    Florida
    I'm a bit of a "Nuub" but you might try downloading ROMTools v2.3.1. The sticky is the second from the top. It will change the bootanimation on your phone with whatever animation you want.I'm pretty sure you have to take the place holder text out of the bootanimation folder(if it doesn't work put the place holder text back inside and try again), then put your zip file inside said folder,run the ROMTool.exe, select#7

4. thefabfive

thefabfive Lurker
    None

May 23, 2011
    OK, learned a few things in the past few hours. First, I was only able to remove the sound from the Virgin Mobile startup - located at /system/sounds/poweron/PowerOn.mp3.

Placing a bootanimation.zip file in the /data/local directory changed the Android boot animation to the custom bootanimation.zip

The files in the /bootimages directory don't seem to do much. I changed them with black screen files, but didn't notice any difference in the boot up sequence. Not sure what's going on there.

So, my last remaining issue is the Virgin Mobile startup, which I can't seem to get rid of - and can't find it's location on the phone. A google search seemed to imply that short of flashing a custom rom this animation is not easy to remove. I'll keep searching though.

BTW, I'm using Root Explorer for all this.

5. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus
    None

May 13, 2011
    Laborer (all the dirty nasty work nobody else want
    Florida
    I'll have to see what you come up with. The Harmonia ROM is pretty awesome when it comes to app memory,Plus a custom ROM lets you easily move most apps to the sd card(I only need 12 to stay on the phone,and I am only using App2SD).I have 80 installed apps and still have 154MB of app memory left.With SD speed increase,I get super fast boot ups. But.... I still have the Virgin Mobile audio when booting up.

6. tcat007

tcat007 Android Expert
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Texas
    I'm happy... I just changed the Power up sound and works well. I'm rooted, with no custom ROM, just link2SD. I replaced /system/sounds/poweron/PowerOn.mp3, with a ringtone I made from a THX movie sound. I just clipped the last 45 seconds, edited the file name to match "PowerOn.mp3". Took about 15 minutes, not having anything to start with. Just Googled THX MP3 and got this: http://sinan.ussakli.net/basstest/THX - The Audience Is Listening.mp3
    Then searched CNET for a free ringtone maker, made the clip, and pasted it. Just booted my phone for the 1st time and it's fantastic! Now I turn the volume up instead of off when bootong.

Tags: