• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Now I'm rooted, what about updating android?

aovaici

Jul 21, 2011
So truthfully part of the reason why I wanted to root my device was to update the andoid that was loaded on there, I have a custom mod all loaded (with a few glitches). But that leaves me wondering.. Can we get android 2.3? I mean ffs there are devices shipping with 3.0+ .. Were getting left behind :( Well... truthfully were already WAY behind but still. I like this POS phone that I bought for $100 and NO WAY was I going to dish out $300 for the Samsung Galaxy Indulge (even though it has the QWERTY + Andriod = My perfect phone) for the same 2.2 Platform.

So basically, I guess what I am saying is **** metroPCS/LG, is it possible to do by ourselves or am I missing something? I feel like I'm running windows XP when Windows 7 (best windows OS yet) is out.

Oh, I should add that I am VERY new to the android community and this is my FIRST smartphone :D

So truthfully part of the reason why I wanted to root my device was to update the andoid that was loaded on there, I have a custom mod all loaded (with a few glitches). But that leaves me wondering.. Can we get android 2.3? I mean ffs there are devices shipping with 3.0+ .. Were getting left behind :( Well... truthfully were already WAY behind but still. I like this POS phone that I bought for $100 and NO WAY was I going to dish out $300 for the Samsung Galaxy Indulge (even though it has the QWERTY + Andriod = My perfect phone) for the same 2.2 Platform.

So basically, I guess what I am saying is **** metroPCS/LG, is it possible to do by ourselves or am I missing something? I feel like I'm running windows XP when Windows 7 (best windows OS yet) is out.

Oh, I should add that I am VERY new to the android community and this is my FIRST smartphone :D

First, we're not "WAY" behind. We're only one upgrade back if you don't count the interim updates. 2.3 is gingerbread and if you're running cm7 that is technically gingerbread even though it's not official. 3.0 is honeycomb and that's a tablet based os. The next upgrade is named ice cream sandwich and is not out yet. Also, we are supposedly getting the gingerbread upgrade. Other Optimus phones already have it. If you check hofo you'll see that there are some really nice android phones rumored to be coming down the pipeline for metro. For the time being this is a pretty decent phone.

Upvote 0
First, we're not "WAY" behind. We're only one upgrade back if you don't count the interim updates. 2.3 is gingerbread and if you're running cm7 that is technically gingerbread even though it's not official. 3.0 is honeycomb and that's a tablet based os. The next upgrade is named ice cream sandwich and is not out yet. Also, we are supposedly getting the gingerbread upgrade. Other Optimus phones already have it. If you check hofo you'll see that there are some really nice android phones rumored to be coming down the pipeline for metro. For the time being this is a pretty decent phone.

Bahh I loved CM7 but it was too glitchy on my phone for some reason, anyways. Ohh.. I didn't know all that. But I was sure that Gingerbread was out and metro was basically giving us the finger as far as getting that update.

Upvote 0
Bahh I loved CM7 but it was too glitchy on my phone for some reason, anyways. Ohh.. I didn't know all that. But I was sure that Gingerbread was out and metro was basically giving us the finger as far as getting that update.

Don't blame Metro, blame LG USA, the Optimus One got the GB upgrade in Europe, which means LG is in the process of dishing them out, but they won't do any for the M T U S V until the Optimus One updates are done(apparently they favor the One more than its Letter counterparts. After LG starts releasing the source to US carriers THEN we can blame Metro for being lazy :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones