1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Now that 2.2 is finally here, should I go back to the EVO?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MikeMc890, Feb 22, 2011.

1. MikeMc890

MikeMc890 Newbie
    None

Aug 6, 2010
    Had the EVO in the summer, got rid of it when the epic came out because I THOUGHT i wanted/needed a keyboard. Turns out I don't use the keyboard at all really.

I recently damaged my epic beyond repair, sent it out through best buy black tie protection, and I got a call today saying to come down to the store to get brand new phone. When I got there, the best buy mobile guy tells me that I can get the epic again or a phone at the same price.

Before 2.2 came out, i wouldve definitely went back to the Evo. Now that the epic has 2.2, is it worth it to keep? Or is the Evo the better phone if im not utilizing the keyboard?

Advertisement

2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    Ultimately it's whichever you prefer.

Some of prefer phone A and others prefer phone B. Nothing wrong either way.

3. MyRCode

MyRCode Newbie
    None

Jun 5, 2010
    I went the other way...damaged my evo by accident and went to the epic. I don't use the keyboard that much but it definitely helps when typing in web addresses. I also didn't like how heavy the Evo was....but I do miss the big screen and the kickstand.

But I probably won't be watching too many more movies on my phone once my NotionInk Adam comes :)

4. RoboMonkey

RoboMonkey Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2010
    Ask them can you wait 4 months and get the Evo 2. :)

5. MikeMc890

MikeMc890 Newbie
    None

Aug 6, 2010
    Yea I'm having a tough time deciding what I should do. I liked the epic but I really don't use the keyboard enough to justify that being a deciding factor. Samsung pissed me off with the delay of froyo for so long, but now that its finally here, I feel like I should give the epic a chance with froyo. I really had no problems with the evo besides I hated the keyboard, but now I'm hearing the evo has swype so that would solve all my problems.

6. Cavemansol

Cavemansol Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 1, 2010
    Seattle Wa
    I'm switching to the epic from my evo tomorrow. I love my Evo, but I really dont think it does anything better than the epic. Meanwhile the epics screen, keyboard and processor all seem to be better, so why stick with the Evo?

To me, swype is just as annoying as the regular keyboard. For instance, I hated typing this all out on my Evo just now, I WANT ME THAT HARD KEYBOARD!

7. Nevis

Nevis Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 7, 2010
    Minnesota
    I have the EVO, and my wife has the Epic. I love them both, but the Epic definitely out performs the EVO IMHO. The screen is sharper, albeit smaller. I think if it was October 2010, I'd be getting 2 Epics. But, there is really nothing wrong either way. The EVO is a killer device as well and I really have no regrets.

8. mojomojo

mojomojo Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    At this point Ive found my dream phone.
    Epic with Froyo fixed browser hesitation.
    Im not going to jump at the Epic II .I'll wait for Epic II to get to $100.
    They made this one too good.

9. RedBear'n

RedBear'n Newbie
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Helping others.
    P-Burgh
    I'm a recent Sprint convert, as in two weeks ago recent and I signed on for service with the EVO...and then the screen started peeling off, so I went back to the store to find they had no more EVOs to replace mine and despite the bad taste the Fascinate left in my mouth, I copped the Epic. I love this device. I havent even rooted it. I dont plan on it either. Im blanketed in 4G, the screen is gorgeous, the frills are there, the processor plenty powerful and the guy at the Sprint store is an Androidhead, which I never found at VZW stores...so I say, get Epic.

10. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 1, 2009
    I must say... the official 2.2.1 on the Epic is silky smooth. My wife's Evo isn't bad, but I like the Epic.

Now that both handsets are on 2.2.1, I can easily tell that the Epic's CPU/GPU are superior to the Evo.

-SF

11. badankles

badankles Android Expert
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    USA
    if the slider keyboard is your deciding factor then there you go. at least now it's an apple to apple compare between the evo and epic with both having froyo. so it comes down to hardware.

12. D5Ful

D5Ful Newbie
    None

Feb 24, 2011
    I am brand new to the Android world having had Palm's from the very beginning Palm Pilot......but sadly ready to give up on Palm and my Pre.

I spent over an hour in the Sprint store today comparing the Evo, Evo Shift and Epic. I decided I definitely want a keyboard. I love the size of the Shift but the screen and video quality seem so much more vibrant on the Epic?

I'd love any input on this comparison...and the durability of the keyboard, etc.

:thinking:
    Thanks. D5Ful

13. batgeek

None

Sep 4, 2010
    Systems Engineer
    Suffolk, VA
    the only problem i have with the Epic's kepyboard is that it doesn't take to a dog chewing on it very well. same can likely be said about the Shift's keyboard though. :)

14. D5Ful

D5Ful Newbie
    None

Feb 24, 2011
    Happily no dog to skew the comparison results:)

15. droid newb

droid newb Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 25, 2010
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I bought the Epic because of the slide out and I never, ever use it. The landscape keyboard on screen is plenty big. And I don't use the stock keyboard...I went with Smart Keyboard Pro...love it!

D5Ful likes this.
  16. badankles

badankles Android Expert
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    USA
    compare the hardware internals between the epic and shift and you will see that the epic will be slightly ahead. as for keyboard functions, you can never tell if you get a lemon or not, so peruse both forums for evo shift and epic keyboard discussions. (i use the keyboard 10% of the time, but i'm glad it's an option i have available.)

as for software, now that epic has froyo, they both should be similar there. your concern now is how much you care about the next android version on your device.

D5Ful likes this.
  17. Epicurean

Epicurean Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 1, 2010
    Programmer
    Maryland
    You might want to compare the size of the SD cards (Shift=2GB, Epic=16GB) and the number of cameras (The Epic has a front facing camera, the Shift does not). FFCs are nice if you intend to use any kind of video chat.

D5Ful likes this.