1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Now that Android's been around for a while...

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by AMTrombley0924, Jun 3, 2011.

1. AMTrombley0924

AMTrombley0924 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 2, 2010
    Student, Air Force Cadet
    California
    So I read this article just now at Droid-Life: The Difference Between The Top Ten iPhone & Android Applications - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

And after a few minutes, I posted this response as my thoughts on it:

"This is the way I see it:

Apple's whole appeal is simplicity. People love i-products because they are reliable in that you'd have to try really hard to break it. It's the reason I bought a Macbook for college. I can't let my technical curiosity compromise my 5 page term paper. Everything is locked down and goes through Apple, so it eliminates flaws and issues caused by 3rd party apps not approved by them. Apple won't make it easier to jailbreak their phones. Why? although it would make them more competitive in Android's playing field, it would compromise what they did to gain such a fan-base in the first place.

Android on the other hand, is more for the technically minded individual. We can root and modify the phone to our heart's content. We can make the phone TRULY our own. This is why I love Android, and why I've stuck with it. There are times when ROMs or themes may slow down the performance or battery life of the phone, but you know what? We can FIX that! Android was made to be modified and played with. This explains why so many of the top 10 list is fully of utility apps to help modify the phone.

In conclusion. It's all about what the person needs. Need a phone that won't quit humming along no matter what hell you put through it's software, but will never be any different from when you got it out of the box? Go iPhone. If you want a phone that you can make your OWN, customize, and modify because...well, you f**kin can, even if sometimes curiosity will slow it down, and not every modification is an "improvement"? Go Android.

'Nuff said :)"

I feel like all the iHating and Android trolling (from BOTH sides) has subdued now that Android has made itself a key player in the market, and not just a small community. I don't see as many "iPhone SUCKS" and "Android blows" comments anymore, which IMO, is a GOOD thing!

I find that each end of the market deserves it's due respect, but a year ago, I felt like I was a minority in that opinion here. Now that things have cooled over from that time, what is everyone's opinion on my thoughts, and the differences between Apple and Android?

Advertisement

YankeeDudeL, ninja_reject and cds0699 like this.
  2. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Android Expert
    None

Sep 24, 2010
    Just to pick a nit . . . there are some darn silly reasons why Apple will not approve some applications and it has little to do with "flaws and issues caused by 3rd party apps." For example, Widgets are not allowed and Jobs made a public statement about widgets and why they were removed or not allowed in the first place.

Basically, it ruins the user's experience and the look of the iPad. Or iPhone/iPod.

Apple dislikes jail-breakers and they do make it hard. That said, those that write the JB software seem to come up with a JB every time iOS is updated or changed.

As a Jail-breaker, I decided that the benefits outweigh the potential issues and Apple's temper tantrums.

Bob

3. ArmageddonX

ArmageddonX Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2011
    Male
    Stay at home Dad
    Arizona, USA
    I agree with some of the OPs points.

Frankly, when deciding which phone to give to my parents (whom are both in their 60s) I instantly thought the iPhone would be a better choice for them. It's simple to use and they can't break it.

Me and my Wife however, require more powerful and more customizable devices. The iPhone would simply not do what we need a modern Smartphone to do. We need an Android.

Any operating system is a good operating system if it does what you need it to do and you're happy with it on a personal level. Too much to-do is given to telling other people what they should and should not like in my opinion.

4. Guamguy

Guamguy Android Expert
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    When I started with iOS, which was in 2007, it was flaky. Even today, I get more app closures than I do with Android.

I didn't feel that iOS truly came on its own until iOS 3. Experience has thought me not to upgrade from a stable version of IOS until like 6 months in order to observe how the upgrade truly went.

Usually, when you hit a upon a stable iOS version, its very stable. Its not a good idea to upgrade for the sake of upgrading unless the version you are in has issues.

As for Macbooks I don't really find them anymore reliable as the top laptops and desktops (Lenovo, Acer, Asus, Sony, Toshiba, IMO). The white Macbooks, at one time had a serious crack problem on the case. Happened to my daughter's Macbook. Newer ones got this fixed, and you won't see it with the Macbook Pro.