1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Root Now that I'm rooted, its time for TW to go.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DTR, Jul 30, 2010.

1. DTR

DTR New Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Picked up my captivate today, quickly rooted it with excellent instructions on this forum right from the phone and I installed busybox and backup. I got rid of the crapware. No it is time for one of two things; ditch TouchWhiz or somehow get hooked up with 2.2. Now, I hate posting before doing extensive research, but I came across one member saying that a beta was released today for 2.2 for the captivate. My question is, is it worth it to go for the beta to get rid of TW or should I go with this vanilla ROM that I read about that supposedly gets rid of TW.

Advertisement

2. Benclayton

Benclayton Active Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Removing TW would be a pretty bad move IMO, it's always good to have a fall-back that is (for the most part) stable. Launcher Pro has had a few issues on my phone and I've seen better battery performance with TW unfortunately.

DO NOT start flashing ROMs to this until they have a definitive guide on what builds will work. The Modaco or Monaco Vanilla rom will work, but the phone and messaging features are buggy at best.

XDA forums has a big thread about this now, I'd read up on it and just wait it out. No use screwing up a brand new phone for no reason.

DTR likes this.
  3. irvinbd

irvinbd New Member

Aug 3, 2010
    I'm new to android phones/linux in general... what kind of crapware is there that I should remove?

4. laristech

laristech Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Just remove normal programs such as telnavi, gogo, slacker, etc. Its easy to do with root access and Titanium Backup.