• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Reviews Now that I've had it for a bit: my review of the Motorola One Hyper

It's been almost two weeks since I received my Motorola One Hyper, and I feel comfortable now giving it a review.

To start, its screen is awesome! Going from the 5.5" screen of my Moto Z² Force to this 6.5" all-screen display has been amazing. I posted these pics in another thread, but will use them here, too, as they're good comparison shots:

Old:

JoyNoelle_desktop_normal_090419.jpg

New:

JoyNoelle_desktop_normal_071620.jpg

Old:

JoyNoelle_Whistle_110919.jpg

New:

JoyNoelle_Whistle_071620.jpg

As you can see, there's a lot more screen on the One Hyper.

Its camera specs were not important to me, as I don't use my phones for 'real' photography, but the pics I have taken with it have been quite nice. I believe its resolution goes up to 4640x3472. Here are its choices for its rear and front cameras:

Rear:

Motorola_OneHyper_camera_rear.jpg

Front:

Motorola_OneHyper_camera_front.jpg

This is my first Android device that isn't black! It's a beautiful, deep shade of my favorite color, blue:

Motorola_One_Hyper_back_1.jpg

The phone shipped with a case, the soft gel kind that only protects the back--not the logical part, the screen, that's so prone to damage:

Motorola_One_Hyper_package.jpg

So I bought a full-enclosure case instead; it's clear, so I can still see the phone's pretty color.

There's really nothing I dislike about this device. It's very fast, its storage space [128GB] will last me forever [although it is expandable], and there was very little bloatware on it upon arrival. (I bought it unlocked, and am using it with Consumer Cellular.)

It shipped with Android 10, so I expect it to get at least one update. I guess time will tell.

Among several nice surprises were its FM radio and Dolby audio. Listening to the radio on it the other day, I felt like I was having déjà vu...I thought I'd gone back in time and was listening to a transistor radio. :D

Just FYI, I couldn't get the phone I actually wanted, the Motorola Edge+, because it's only available with Verizon [in the US]. I don't want or need an expensive Verizon plan when I'm on Wi-Fi 99.99% of the time, you know?!

For the way I use my phone, this was an excellent choice. I can't speak to its use for heavy gaming or streaming, as I'm not doing those.

If this phone lasts as long as my other Motorolas, it should keep me happy for a few years.

Thanks! I'm loving it. I'm glad I finally decided to shit or get off the pot. :eek: And, with hindsight, I'm glad I didn't spend several hundred more dollars on the Edge+, as this is perfectly fine for my needs.

Its battery life so far has been excellent. I charge both phones overnight, typically unplugging them around 8:30 or so in the morning. An hour or more later when I start using them, the Z² Force is still at 100%, while the One Hyper is ≈96%. But it's lasting all day; I try to wrap things up by 8:30, 9:00 or so, and its battery has not needed to be charged again during the day. That's with consistent use throughout the day--posting on forums, working on my neverending network housecleaning project, banking, using various apps, taking pictures and screenshots, etc. So far, so good!

Upvote 0
You seem to be aware of this, but when watching a review of another Moto One a few days ago, I was surprised to hear the Motorolas One series, just like the G series, are not part of the Android One program. :mad:
Honestly...I didn't have a clue. :eek: My statement about expecting at least one version update was based solely on, well, guessing! :D

While looking at potential phones, I excluded any not shipping with Android 10. I figured that would at least give me the most up-to-date version to begin with, then hopefully get at least one higher down the road.
Glad you are enjoying your choice :D
Thanks. I'm really very happy with it. I do have a problem, though: its touch is too sensitive. [And it's in a case.] I've mucked about in my keyboard's [Hacker's] settings, but can't seem to find a sweet spot yet.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I'm really very happy with it. I do have a problem, though: its touch is too sensitive. [And it's in a case.] I've mucked about in my keyboard's [Hacker's] settings, but can't seem to find a sweet spot yet.

I hope the over-sensitivity improves. I replayed a review who didn't mention it after a weeks use.
I can't remember if this can be adjusted. You'll probably have it replaced if it's too bad.

Upvote 0
I hope the over-sensitivity improves. I replayed a review who didn't mention it after a weeks use.
I can't remember if this can be adjusted. You'll probably have it replaced if it's too bad.
No, no, it's not that bad. :) Just sometimes, a character I didn't intend to press gets printed from my finger barely sliding over it. [It could make for some hilariously misspelled words...but I like to give each post a quick once-over prior to submitting. :D]

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones