• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Now that so many more of us have rooted....

VonKannick

Feb 18, 2010
I'm sure there will be plenty of questions on what ROM, how to do whatever, etc. I've been reading for the last several hours and my newb question that I can't seem to find an answer to is what ROM is going to give me stability, speed and NO DIALER LAG? I see plenty of ROMs available, but mostly just technical specs given, and few recommendations posted either here or XDA. Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm sure there will be plenty of questions on what ROM, how to do whatever, etc. I've been reading for the last several hours and my newb question that I can't seem to find an answer to is what ROM is going to give me stability, speed and NO DIALER LAG? I see plenty of ROMs available, but mostly just technical specs given, and few recommendations posted either here or XDA. Anyone have any suggestions?
Evil Eris 3.0 is a great starting place as far as ROMs go. I have zero stability issues, it's quick, still has Sense (I can't live without the mail and calendar widgets), and stable at 768 mhz (had it at 806 with no problems, but I decided I didn't want to push it).

Reactions: dwcasey
Upvote 0

Try looking through these threads...various users give their feedback and opinions about the ROMs that they've tried:

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/91862-fav-rom.html
http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/108833-most-compatible-rom.html
http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/110400-rom-suggestions.html
http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/101300-rom-right-me.html
http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/84231-best-rom-flash-first-timer.html
http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/64000-what-rom-you-guys-using-why.html

Hope this helps.

Reactions: dwcasey
Upvote 0
Ivan's Eris_Official with Zanfur's v3 update kernel @768mhz+

Dialer lag doesn't affect me, really.

Ivan's ROM has all optimized .png (picture) files, so every screen loads a little faster, and the overclocking helps quite a bit too.

I always go back to Ivan's. I have no dialer lag complaint. It's minimal, compared to the phone being stock.

Upvote 0
Ivan's Eris_Official with Zanfur's v3 update kernel @768mhz+

Dialer lag doesn't affect me, really.

Ivan's ROM has all optimized .png (picture) files, so every screen loads a little faster, and the overclocking helps quite a bit too.

I always go back to Ivan's. I have no dialer lag complaint. It's minimal, compared to the phone being stock.

+1 to Paul (yet again! :D)...I love Ivan's ROM and can't wait for his 1.1 version (which will be even faster (and better) -- being built for speed!).

Upvote 0
My only issue with Ivan's is that I have the same calendar notification bug that I had with stock 2.1 - with some calendar items, I will get an audible notification, there will be a brief snooze/dismiss box, but then it will disappear and act as if I snoozed it, and never give me the option to dismiss until the event is done. It can be a pain to have the phone sound the ringtone every 5 minutes. If it weren't for that, I would run Ivan's.

I have had great success with XTR3.0.1, running LauncherPro (or ADW) as the default home.

I think that either of these ROMS are excellent. I have not run Plain Jane myself, but, again, I imagine I'd get that same snooze bug.

Upvote 0
I would appreciate a suggestion on a rom.

I would like it with out sense, however:
1. Need Facebook to work
2. need the default address book (people)/calendar.
3. Default web browser
4. Default SMS/MMS/mail apps/Alarm clock (alarm is a must)
5. Needless apps removed like amazon, stocks, etc.

Thanks for any suggestions...

Upvote 0
I've tried many ROMs now. xtr has become my go to. I'm on 2.1.1 because 3.0 is heavy and I don't want to run a2sd. It is very fast even without JIT enabled. With JIT on, it screams but has some stability issues that I cannot put up with (3G streaming media problems and random reboots mainly).

xtr doesn't have all of Sense, but it does utilize the Sense social media features and dialer. For me, I have everything I want from Sense without all the Sense BS. I run LauncherPro, which imo is superior to Sense UI.

KAOS FROYO V23 is very close to being there. It does have some issues though, and I miss the Sense social media that xtr has. The developer has been pushing updates out weekly lately. All that is left is a permanent MMS fix (works for me but not some others), a camera fix (I found a workaround using Camera 360 image stabiliation technique), and maybe one or two others.

I have had dialer lag on every ROM. It is something I have not been able to get around. Although, some ROMs have slightly less dialer lag than others, xtr being one of those

Upvote 0

The biggest suggestion I can offer you, VonKannick, is to download a ROM zip, flash it and have fun.

After you do that, repeat. ;)

Then do it again.

Rooting is about exploration, and your opinions and needs with regard to ROMs are all going to change as you discover the feel and emphasis of each one.

Eris Root Roms

Upvote 0
The biggest suggestion I can offer you, VonKannick, is to download a ROM zip, flash it and have fun.

After you do that, repeat. ;)

Then do it again.

Rooting is about exploration, and your opinions and needs with regard to ROMs are all going to change as you discover the feel and emphasis of each one.

Eris Root Roms

Agreed, you gotta try them for yourself. The best thing about a rooted eris is the variety of roms. You have pure sense roms, pure vanilla roms, some are sense that have a lot of stuff ripped out to have a vanilla like feel.

Upvote 0
As long as you use the same gmail address for Market, your downloaded stuff will show up in the "my downloads" or "downloads" menu (it's named different on the older version of Market).

There is a glitch, once in a while I've noticed: some things will just not be there, but can be searched out and of course downloaded again. I had this happen with a paid app but did not have to buy it again. I've seen a few reports, though, saying they did have to re-purchase.

Upvote 0
And as you are trying out all these ROMS, are you having to reinstall all your apps one by one, or does rooting open up a good solution to that as well? (nandroid, as far as I can tell does not silver this problem, right? )

I'm new to root, but what I've seen so far is that you do indeed have to reinstall everything.
However, Cableguy believes Titanium backup pretty much solves that problem (link below). I've haven't had a chance to try it myself, but I've never seen CG steer folks in the wrong direction. I believe him enough that I installed it and did backups about an hour ago.
http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/111787-apps.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones