• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Now that the Froyo update is on hold...

I was waiting for the OTA but for Six months of waiting ive got squat to show for it. Now that Samsung has pulled the update Im ready to be proactive. Anyone have the update or a link to it they could provide?

Samsung

Go there, click the software link, download the zip file. Put zip file (I know I know, it says Mac OS, use it anyway) to your SD card on your phone. Don't unzip it, don't create a subfolder to put it in.

Go into recovery on your phone (after pulling battery and putting it back in) by holding down volume down, camera and power buttons. Use volume down to go to the update.zip option and hit the home key as enter.

Upvote 0
Surprised to see so many people "happy" they were updated or did OTW before it was pulled

Why do you want a buggy OS ?

Because it's not buggy, at least, FOR ME. I cannot speak for everyone else. Obviously there were problems reported, that's why they yanked it.

The single complaint I have is no more music widget.

GPS = better, way better
Keyboard = no issues for me, but I don't use the keyboard much anyway
Browser = no more scroll bar, but that doesn't bother me. Pinch/zoom isn't an issue for me either, at least, not that I've noticed on the pages I've been to.

And as far as I'm concerned, no matter what they release, there will ALWAYS be problems. Some are just worse than others. The "problems" with this release aren't bad by any strecth, but again...this is my personal experience and it went quite well.

Upvote 0
Samsung

Go there, click the software link, download the zip file. Put zip file (I know I know, it says Mac OS, use it anyway) to your SD card on your phone. Don't unzip it, don't create a subfolder to put it in.

Go into recovery on your phone (after pulling battery and putting it back in) by holding down volume down, camera and power buttons. Use volume down to go to the update.zip option and hit the home key as enter.

I've done this and I get the following:
-- Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:signature verifcation failed
Installation aborted

Apparently Sprint has said the OTW will be taken down... either I'm doing something wrong or Sprint has not taken down the OTW but disabled it?

Upvote 0
Installation aborted

Apparently Sprint has said the OTW will be taken down... either I'm doing something wrong or Sprint has not taken down the OTW but disabled it?

I just did it...worked fine for me.

Upvote 0
Installation aborted

Huh...interesting. I wouldn't think the zip file would be in communication with anything like the .exe could be. I guess they could've modified the zip file, but a guy on another thread just got done doing the same thing and he said it worked. I have the update.zip file I used last night so if you PM me your email address I can send it to you via wetransfer or something like that.

Actually...I think somewhere on here, a member posted the .zip file via megaupload so people could get it from there too. Might want to try that out as well.

Upvote 0
Im getting the same error

Installation aborted

going to retry the whole process. I'll get back if I get it to work.

The reason I asked in the first place was hearing that samsung pulled the update file from the servers. I dont think they would leave the link and give us an unusable file but then again Samsung is moving up my s@#$ list pretty fast so i guess that is possible

Upvote 0
Installation aborted

So I removed the ZKASPR update.zip file from the SDCard and my pc and downloaded the file again and this time when I try to load the file onto the SDCard I get "Cannot copy update: The path is too deep".... looks like I'll be waiting for the OTA, whenever THAT is going to be...

Upvote 0
Ok am completely new to all this . I downloaded file and connected epic to cpu but can't find a root folder or a main folder. Obviously am not rooted but i don't have folder named main either. So where would i place the zip update?

When you plug your phone into your computer it will show up as your epic. When you open that folder or if your computer says "click here to view files" you are in the SD card just cut or copy and paste the zip folder in there.

Upvote 0
Ok am completely new to all this . I downloaded file and connected epic to cpu but can't find a root folder or a main folder. Obviously am not rooted but i don't have folder named main either. So where would i place the zip update?

There is no folder named (literally named) "root" or "main". Root folder is like...the top level, as in, nothing higher. When you open up your SD card you are IN the root folder. When you connect your phone to your PC, you would open up your SD card and right then...you are in the root folder. Place update.zip there and you're good to go.

If you see other folders like "DCIM", "bluetooh", "backups", "amazonmp3"...that is your root folder. Don't go into any of those folders, and DO NOT extract the zip file either.

Once you have update.zip there, go into recovery (as stated previously), select the option that contains "update.zip" and hit the home button as your enter key.

Wait for it....wait for it...froyo.

Upvote 0
There is no folder named (literally named) "root" or "main". Root folder is like...the top level, as in, nothing higher. When you open up your SD card you are IN the root folder. When you connect your phone to your PC, you would open up your SD card and right then...you are in the root folder. Place update.zip there and you're good to go.

If you see other folders like "DCIM", "bluetooh", "backups", "amazonmp3"...that is your root folder. Don't go into any of those folders, and DO NOT extract the zip file either.

Once you have update.zip there, go into recovery (as stated previously), select the option that contains "update.zip" and hit the home button as your enter key.

Wait for it....wait for it...froyo.

Trust this guy...this worked for me!

Upvote 0
It worked the second try. I dont know if I'm lucky or if It was because I was on stock but froyo is working perfectly for me. Have calender inputs , gallery, ringtones, contacts, all apps that i can tell. Ringer volume is fine, flash works, alarm widget was gone but I now have a clock widget. set new alarms worked fine. Still need to test GPS, bubble txt is not my favorite but dont mind it. And the browser is missing the scroll bar as well as a link to favorites under the menu. that was handy as now have to scroll ALL the way back to the top of page to get to favorites. Overall I'm liking it and glad I made the plunge. Thanks to Everyone here in the forums with advice I wouldn't have even tried without this site.

Upvote 0
It worked the second try. I dont know if I'm lucky or if It was because I was on stock but froyo is working perfectly for me. Have calender inputs , gallery, ringtones, contacts, all apps that i can tell. Ringer volume is fine, flash works, alarm widget was gone but I now have a clock widget. set new alarms worked fine. Still need to test GPS, bubble txt is not my favorite but dont mind it. And the browser is missing the scroll bar as well as a link to favorites under the menu. that was handy as now have to scroll ALL the way back to the top of page to get to favorites. Overall I'm liking it and glad I made the plunge. Thanks to Everyone here in the forums with advice I wouldn't have even tried without this site.

Right on man, glad it worked for you! I've had about the same exact experience you have. Alarm was gone, but now the Clock (which also includes stopwatch and timer) has replaced it. I never saw the bubble texting as handcent remained.

I set up handcent to mimick the 2.1 app a few months ago when I heard 2.2 was going bubble. HATE bubble.

I'm really beginning to think the problems are stemming from people who had rooted/flashed/done-anything-outside-stock to their phones and tried manually updating. Question still remains...did they use .exe or .zip? I think getting some details around this would really shed some light, but I have a feeling the XDA gents will have another update.zip file by Monday or sometime next week which will make everyone happy. Except those who refuse to do it and wait for OTA.

Upvote 0
I think the 2.2 update is absolutely amazing for the epic. It's a huge update and really unlocks the device's potential. My install is completely bug free and lightning fast. I believe it is actually quicker than my evo. It's hard to believe some wouldn't like it but then again there are still people that like living in caves in some parts of the world.

I heard there are even people out there that are happy living in places like Oregon and Iowa too. To each their own...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones