1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Now that the thunderbolt has been out for a bit..

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by edge, Apr 21, 2011.

1. edge

edge Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 9, 2010
    Now that the thunderbolt has been out for a bit.. Would you recommend me getting it or waiting for the evo 3d?

Advertisement

2. MRW1215

MRW1215 Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    Well, isn't the Evo 3D only available to Sprint (or whatever the Evo line is on)? It'd depend how much you want to switch carriers. The Thunderbolt's a pretty good phone, I think, but it's the only smart phone I've ever had, so maybe that kind of "disqualifies" my opinion.

I'm sure the new Evo will technically be better, in terms of specs, and of course, the 3D stuff. Personally, I'm not sure I see much point in 3D on a phone. I mean, I get why it's neat for movies, or gaming, but aside from those things, how practical could it really be for a phone? I dunno, maybe that's just me.

3. Two_cents

Two_cents Well-Known Member
    None

May 22, 2010
    honestly when my friends ask me about getting a TB I tell them to wait for the incredible 2 coming out in the next few weeks... mainly cause I dont live in a 4g area and because the 4"screen is a little easier to manage... I love my TB but it requires me to be extra tech savvy cause the phone was unusable without root...

4. jcnyc

jcnyc Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    Depends on how much you want 3d and how much you want to switch to Sprint. The evo 3d's hardware is without a doube superior to the tbolt but keep in mind there's really nothing out there in the world right now that requires a dual core processor to run. The 3d screen will be your biggest incentive. While I haven't seen it in action, and i don't think I will be able to until the phone is physically in stores, it sounds pretty damn cool to me. Also note that sprint's wimax 4g is slower than LTE.

5. Thats

Thats That guy is This
    None

Feb 19, 2010
    Male
    Air Force
    Fargo, ND
    I will only recommend this phone to people if they love tweaking the phone to get the best out of it. If you will use it stock, skip it, honestly.

6. MRW1215

MRW1215 Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    Hah, wow, I guess it really depends on what you want to do with it, then? I dunno, I haven't messed around with trying to root, or anything, and I don't find the phone "unusable", or anything like that. I mostly just use it for web browsing, e-mail, Facebook, and some extra little apps and games, and it serves its purpose just fine.

But I guess if you need the phone to do more complex things, it's not good for that...? I dunno.

7. AustinTech

AustinTech Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    Alpharetta, GA (ATL)
    Like it was said before above, the Incredible 2 is a better choice if you aren't in a 4G area. Otherwise, I highly recommend the phone to anyone who likes speed, easy interface, slick looking screen, and lots of fun.

Spec wise, the 3D is awesome, it beats the bolt. But I don't need the extra specs for my needs, and I doubt anyone else does either. The 3D thing could be a gimmick. Like on TV.

Plus Sprint? Your phone is only as good as the network that supports it. Sprint, nah man...

8. SPD

SPD Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 22, 2011
    I would get the TB over the Evo3D personally. I don't want to be on sprint, don't need a 3D camera, and also don't like the big bulky look of the camera on the back. TB is more than I could ask for right now. Love it.

9. danwlee

danwlee Newbie
    None

Jun 6, 2010
    Personally, i don't think you'd go wrong with either. I've had the TB for over a month now and I came from Sprint with the EVO. I don't know why people are knocking on Sprint's network. I've travelled all over the country with the EVO and never had issues with dropped calls or data signal unless i'm truly out in the boonies. IMO, Sprint's network is better than AT&T's.

As for the hardware, the specs on the EVO 3D are obviously better, but LTE >> WiMax (in regards to speed and availability). 3D = gimmick. Your Sprint bill is without a doubt going to be less costly than your Verizon bill and I'm sure the Sprint plan will include alot of features for free which you'll have to pay for on the Verizon side.

If you're on a budget, but don't want to miss out, go EVO 3D. If money is of no concern, stick with TB and pay for everything that you would have gotten for free with Sprint.

10. edge

edge Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 9, 2010
    I was worried about the evo 3d being a gimmic as well. I just tried the incredible 2 and I like it. No 4g, but it isnt available in my area anyway. It seems very fast and smooth. It also ways a quarter of what my droid weighs. I get it in two days, but I did post a pic of it in the incredible 2 forum.