1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Now that we have Froyo....

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by reisb, Feb 6, 2011.

1. reisb

reisb Android Enthusiast

1. What is "mobile data" button for? It appears it turns off 3G, but I still have signal strength. So I could still get data? What would benefit be?

2. Has anyone figured out if wireless tether is being "spied on"?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. saps

saps Extreme Android User

1. Its 3G, like mms and email. You will still have signal strength for calls and sms. As for the benefit, its combo of battery life and not being disturbed and really I dont see a lot of point to it myself but whatever.
    2. They say they[vzw] can in terms of ability. Whether or not its being done actively and if anyone is going to have ramifications I think the jury is still out.

3. karib

karib Android Enthusiast

I think we'll find out if they are monitoring tethering when next months bills start coming. I'm sure those that are doing it will come on here to tell us if they were charged or not.

4. reisb

reisb Android Enthusiast

ok. does it matter which wireless tether apk you use? I have 2_0_5 and 2_0_6

5. SupraLance

SupraLance Well-Known Member

That Mobile Data button doesn't matter much on my Verizon Fascinate with unlimited data/450 minutes ($70/month bill), but it is priceless for the Eris I just set up on Page Plus that is limited to 50mb data/1200 minutes/1200 texts but only $30/month. Android phones use a lot of background data even when just sitting idle.

6. ecc444

ecc444 Member

Keep an eye on this .... saw on CNN this morning where VZW is advising customers who use large amounts of data to slow it down or they are going to lower the resolution etc etc of data streams. With the influx of AT&T customers coming over after the iPhone comes out my bet is VZW makes some changes with the data package vs. rates

7. nklenchik

nklenchik Android Enthusiast

They're already putting a "limited time" unlimited data plan on the iPhone lol

8. reisb

reisb Android Enthusiast

So with it off, you still get calls and texts? But not gmail? Is benefit because gmail is push tech? Guess I'm thinking I'm mainly disturbed by calls and texts...lol

I'm just wondering how that saves battery. Maybe if email is always coming thru. And if widgets typically sync every minute, but....

9. reisb

reisb Android Enthusiast

Speaking of being disturbed, what about silent since Froyo? using volume down, it only goes down to vibrate now. I don't have option for silent? I used to use that when i didn't want to be interrupted, but still wanted calls, emails, etc to come thru without ring or vibrate.

10. rigglemania

rigglemania Well-Known Member

Settings > Sound > Vibrate > Only when not in silent mode

or

Settings > Sound > Vibrate > Never

I can't remember which off the top of my head but I believe that one of the options combined with a silent mode widget will give you the same effect that we had with 2.1

11. Crucial

Crucial Well-Known Member

My recommendation is to hold the power button down until you get the power menu, then at the top is an option to turn on Silent Mode. That should get you where you want with only a button press and a click on screen.

12. reisb

reisb Android Enthusiast

Weird, if I check "only in silent mode", it will vibrate when I put in silent mode (either by power button press or volume rocker down). If I check "only when not in silent mode, volume rocker down or power button press puts me in silent mode. Problem is then it vibrates for all calls and everything else.

Is there no easy option to choose between ring, vibrate, and silent?

13. karib

karib Android Enthusiast

I use an app called widgetlocker. It allows the slider on the lockscreen to vibrate or be silent just by sliding the opposite way of unlocking. Very simple and useful. I also use it to put shortcuts to my camera and camcorder from the lockscreen. Check it out in the market or search online to see how it works.

14. reisb

reisb Android Enthusiast

problem is I don't think any of these will work. If phone is set to vibrate "only in silent mode", then a toggle ring/silent is just a quick way to get there, but it will still vibrate when on silent.

15. schenker

schenker Newbie

Is there a link to where they say this? And what exactly are they able to determine? That one's data usage has increased due to tethering? Or that the specific kinds of data that are flowing are somehow due to tethering?

16. reisb

reisb Android Enthusiast

do we need a specific tether apk? I have 2_0_5 and 2_0_6

Samsung Fascinate Forum

The Samsung Fascinate release date was Q3 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1500mAh battery.

Q3 2010
Release Date
Reviews