1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Now this was really wierd....

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Girevik, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Girevik

Girevik Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 18, 2010
    Computer Geek
    Columbus, OH
    I took my kids to a baseball game yesterday. As we were walking to the stadium, I was sending texts, but once I got inside I had nothing. I couldn't use 3G, make a call, or send a text. In fact, my SMODA widget indicated that 3G was turned off. I would have attributed it to an overloaded network due to all the people in the stadium but my son has an AT&T phone and he was able to text so I thought maybe the stadium was partially blocking the signal and for some reason I wansn't picking it up.

But then after the game they had fireworks, and all of a sudden durning those I started getting texts. A lot of folks left before the fireworks, so that give creedence othe overloaded network theory, but why was my son able to text but not me. He doesn't have a smart phone.....could that have something to do with it?

Advertisement

2. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Android Expert
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    student
    north alabama
    it definitely was the stadium and it being crowded, i know when i go to alabama games i get very low service all day. but when i go and theres not a game, service is fine.

but its probably because smartphones dont get service as well as older phones, and then it could also be your modem. youre probably not on a rom or anything, but if you happen to be you can switch up modems and maybe find one that gets better signal for you.

3. Android26

Android26 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 25, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Yeah it probably was the overloaded AT&T server due to that fact that you were in a crowded place. Usually I just power my phone off and on again a few times to see if that helps and it usually does.

4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Keep in mind, too that SMS test is not sent over 3G or WiFi data bands. It's a subset of the GSM carrier, so if you have a cell signal, you should also have texts. However, smartphones may not have the same antenna strength as other phones due to all the things we ask them to do.

5. Girevik

Girevik Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 18, 2010
    Computer Geek
    Columbus, OH
    I did restart my phone several times, and that didn't help. It just seemed really strage that I couldn't send a text to save my life, but my son wasn't having any problem at all.