• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Now to the dark side...

I'm talking to a guy on Craigslist about one. Might get it tomorrow or this weekend. I'm thinking I'll stick around the forums since I like all you folks :)

Cool. We'd miss you, ekyle.

Plus, we'd like to see weekly or even daily updates as to your frustration with the crapty-doodle iPhone you're stuck with for 12 months. :D

Upvote 0
Cool. We'd miss you, ekyle.

Plus, we'd like to see weekly or even daily updates as to your frustration with the crapty-doodle iPhone you're stuck with for 12 months. :D

Should I keep posting in this thread or start a "iPhone journal" thread? Haha!

And let's not forget the higher insurance for apple products.

Indeed... forgot about that. Ah well, I'll justify it it because it is shiny ;)

Upvote 0
The thing with iOS is Apple defines your experience and you can't change it. Even if you jailbreak, you still can't change that basic experience. Your phone looks just like everyone else's phone really even after it's jailbroken. If you like that experience, you're fine. If you don't, you're screwed. With Android you can change that experience if you want. It's all about what kind of experience you want. If you're happy with the experience iOS offers, then go for it. If you're used to being able to fix things that you don't like about the experience, you may be extremely frustrated.

I disagree. My iDevice has round icons, an amazing theme called "Blaze," widgets and notifications on the lock screen, access to two huge markets, I can completely avoid Apple if I want to; I can access the file system, I have the ability to use Flash Drives and MicroSD cards for ANY file type, no dock, (or a cool dock or an infinite dock) folder modifications, and other things that make my device much different than most users.

When you get right down to it, your stock Android phone looks just like any other stock android phone and if you know one, you know them all. that is because they are all the same, essentially.

I can change almost anything and that makes my iPad different than the majority. Ditto my iPod.

Not worth arguing about, really. When you get right down to it, if the device works, I be happy. I need email and phone calls. Beyond that, there are no needs, just wants.

The only reason there are so many launchers and home replacements for Android is because we are not happy with what we are given. So we look for ways to make our devices our own and add functions we think we need. Be it root or JB, for most of us, until we do one or the other, we are not happy with what Google/Apple gave us.

And your phone carrier/manufacturer has also defined your user experience. This is why many people use other launchers and home replacements; they do not like the user experience pre-defined for them.

Upvote 0
^ I think the reason that there are so many home replacements is not because users are 'un-happy', but because users respect that it's their device, they can change it how they please. I was perfectly content with Sense. I am still perfectly content with ADW. I think android is all about choices.

In-experience android users (not to call anyone inexperienced) may tend to stay put with their stock set up, while more experienced android users will want and crave that level of customization that android offers.

Different strokes I suppose.

Upvote 0
I don't think it's that user's are unhappy. I think it's that users can change it therefore launchers pop up. You can't change the default launcher in iOS so there are no options. Unless I'm mistaken, you can't add a 3rd party browser or a 3rd party music store to iOS. So those apps don't exist either. It's not because there's not a single person on iOS who wants to purchase music from Amazon MP3. The app doesn't exist because it can't.

Upvote 0
^ I think the reason that there are so many home replacements is not because users are 'un-happy', but because users respect that it's their device, they can change it how they please. I was perfectly content with Sense. I am still perfectly content with ADW. I think android is all about choices.

In-experience android users (not to call anyone inexperienced) may tend to stay put with their stock set up, while more experienced android users will want and crave that level of customization that android offers.

Different strokes I suppose.

Different strokes, indeed.

I think it is our nature to want to change, innovate, tweak, modify, and change yet again. I often use Winstep on my laptop because I was unhappy with the stock UI. This week, I am falling in love with Aston Desktop and occasionally on another machine, I use Hover Desk.

And judging from just how many desktop/GUI/Shell replacements there are for Windows machines, (as many as 50) I think you could say many people are unhappy. There are hundreds of themes just for Winstep and Aston DT alone.

If the word 'unhappy' is too hard to define in this context, let's say when given a choice, many people see the benefits of ADW or another such program and then they become unhappy with the way developers have decided to enforce their ideas. What once made users happy now sucks and they seek a change.

At least my phone still makes calls and unmodified, ALL cell phones do their job.

Jail breaking is growing because people are unhappy with iOS and Apple's rather rude insistence on doing things their way. Jobs mad a public statement about why Widgets were removed from iTunes. It ruined the user experience they (Apple) designed. They will not allow any program that "behaves like widgets" and "creates their own desktops."

Both Google and Apple decided that their way was the best way and fortunately, there are simple ways to change their vision of what is best for us.

If I have a gripe it is that there are far too many choices. Fortunately, this week, I use this iPad theme:

Winterboard blAze iPad theme

Upvote 0
Different strokes, indeed.

I think it is our nature to want to change, innovate, tweak, modify, and change yet again. I often use Winstep on my laptop because I was unhappy with the stock UI. This week, I am falling in love with Aston Desktop and occasionally on another machine, I use Hover Desk.

And judging from just how many desktop/GUI/Shell replacements there are for Windows machines, (as many as 50) I think you could say many people are unhappy. There are hundreds of themes just for Winstep and Aston DT alone.

If the word 'unhappy' is too hard to define in this context, let's say when given a choice, many people see the benefits of ADW or another such program and then they become unhappy with the way developers have decided to enforce their ideas. What once made users happy now sucks and they seek a change.

At least my phone still makes calls and unmodified, ALL cell phones do their job.

Jail breaking is growing because people are unhappy with iOS and Apple's rather rude insistence on doing things their way. Jobs mad a public statement about why Widgets were removed from iTunes. It ruined the user experience they (Apple) designed. They will not allow any program that "behaves like widgets" and "creates their own desktops."

Both Google and Apple decided that their way was the best way and fortunately, there are simple ways to change their vision of what is best for us.

If I have a gripe it is that there are far too many choices. Fortunately, this week, I use this iPad theme:

Winterboard blAze iPad theme

I suppose that is a good point. I'm sure that there is a 'need' for the replacements, or they wouldn't be as popular.

And, I had no idea that there were so many replacements for windows desktops lol. Wow...

I do that that if apple took a page out of the google handbook they'd be better off. If people want widgets, and devs make them, why interfere? Apple doesn't need to make any if they don't want to....

I suppose it's their system, their call.

Upvote 0
I suppose that is a good point. I'm sure that there is a 'need' for the replacements, or they wouldn't be as popular.

And, I had no idea that there were so many replacements for windows desktops lol. Wow...

I do that that if apple took a page out of the google handbook they'd be better off. If people want widgets, and devs make them, why interfere? Apple doesn't need to make any if they don't want to....

I suppose it's their system, their call.

Have a look at some alternative shells, if you are interested:

SHELL EXTENSION CITY, millions of free Windows power tools, explorer enhancements, windows add-ons, tweaks, system utilities, freeware, ie5

Apple/Jobs likes things a certain way and their opposition to widgets strikes me as rather odd.

Upvote 0
switching from android to ios should put you into tiered data, which for any power user, sucks, good luck with that...
Shouldn't. It doesn't change my plan. Device change only, except for the insurance. Either way if I do data intensive stuff I connect to WiFi. My average use every month is 1.5 GB. I just wish the 2GB plan was cheaper so I wouldn't feel ripped off haha

edit - honestly, in the next year or two I see VZW giving customers the option to opt out their contracts so they can push the 2GB cap down on everyone.

Upvote 0
I think his point is he shouldn't have to void his warranty just to take screenshots. I can't really argue with that.

But you do not need to root to take a screen shot:

1. Hold your phone in front of a mirror
2. Take a picture with the camera
3. Email it to yourself
4. Open Photoshop on your desktop/laptop
5. Open email and download the image you just took
6. Crop the image to remove the excess stuff, save the file.
7. Create a new message to yourself and attach the image
8. Send the email
9. Open the email on your phone and save the image to your SD Card.

There you go.

Reactions: A.Nonymous and B2L
Upvote 0
But you do not need to root to take a screen shot:

1. Hold your phone in front of a mirror
2. Take a picture with the camera
3. Email it to yourself
4. Open Photoshop on your desktop/laptop
5. Open email and download the image you just took
6. Crop the image to remove the excess stuff, save the file.
7. Create a new message to yourself and attach the image
8. Send the email
9. Open the email on your phone and save the image to your SD Card.

There you go.
Haha, thanks for the tip, but I prefer a button combination

Upvote 0
Ekyle, avatar change suggestion once you start posting here about your new iPhone:

if1eKl_Mb-b6aQGPQVuoPZbuWAoiYIZYmUsvaqQ2d3PIm_7VqUBY9__XPTRTOjdoqoImpTMf53YzUvWyLw=s128-c

:D

Reactions: 9to5cynic
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones