• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Now We Know

HunnieBunnie

Apr 28, 2013
Texas, U.S.A.
I reported months back that my LG Motion did not get a strong signal in my area of the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex (Arlington Heights), and calls were frequently dropped. I wondered if it was my phone or Metro. Now I know.

I bought an iphone 5s and switched to Cricket. The iphone is not dropping any calls, but I still have problems picking up on the network to access the Internet, and I am only getting an average of two bars signal strength at home and at the university. My conclusion then is that it was neither my phone nor Metro that was the problem, although I am unsure what the problem could be. I do not live very far from either the Air Force base, downtown, or the university area, and I have problems in all these areas. Once I am south of I20, around the Hulen Mall area, the signal strength shoots up to five bars. Something is definitely messing up the signal in my little area of Fort Worth. Just wish I knew what it was.

Cricket Wireless, by the way, has been very nice so far. Unlike Metro, their customer service is great. I can actually easily access customer service via live chat, telephone, and, of course, in store. I am not paying any more than I did at Metro, either, so I am very pleased thus far.

Sounds like your just in a dead area for any network. My house is also. If i go around town ill get great signal with every provider but as soon as i turn down my street and get to my place it barely connects. Ive tried all 4 carriers and all 4 have the same results. As far as cricket goes there not bad. There a subsidy now of att so you will get native att coverage wherever you go and there c.s. is outstanding. There live chat support right from the my cricket app is an awesome thing and i dont know why more carriers dont implement this.

Upvote 0
So the signal is still lousy, the data sucks but their customer service is good so you're pleased?

Hi Fox,

The signal is still not great, but I attribute that to something in my area. At least the iphone is not dropping calls (so far) like the Motion did on Metro.

Yes, customer service appears to be really good. I can actually contact someone via live chat, phone, or even walk into the store, and the people there are very attentive and helpful, so yes, I am pleased. : ) Love my new phone, too!

Upvote 0
Maybe it's the Fort Worth "Stingray" that is screwing everything up for you. Just kidding, could just be bad interference where you are. Do other people with different networks have problems near you? Ask a neighbor.

One other person I know, who lived not too far from me, also had a lot of problems. He was with Metro, too. He moved to the east of I35W and south of 820, and he has not had any problems since he moved. I really think it is something in this little area, perhaps it is the air force base. Goodness only knows what they are doing over there. Will try to ask some other people in the area and let you know.

Upvote 0
Sounds like your just in a dead area for any network. My house is also. If i go around town ill get great signal with every provider but as soon as i turn down my street and get to my place it barely connects. Ive tried all 4 carriers and all 4 have the same results. As far as cricket goes there not bad. There a subsidy now of att so you will get native att coverage wherever you go and there c.s. is outstanding. There live chat support right from the my cricket app is an awesome thing and i dont know why more carriers dont implement this.

I think you are correct, it is my area of town that is the problem, but I will put up with it because I love where I live---close to everything that is important to me.

I agree Cricket's customer service has been good thus far. No complaints from me. I had to contact them about my caller I.D. My full name and number were coming in on caller I.D., which I did not appreciate. People who know me know me, but I did not want more than my first initial and last name to show up on caller I.D. Contacted customer service on Live Chat. The chap put in the request to change how my name was appearing, and viola! Within just a few minutes, the change was implemented. I was impressed! Never had that kind of help with ANYTHING with Metro.

Upvote 0
I reported months back that my LG Motion did not get a strong signal in my area of the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex (Arlington Heights), and calls were frequently dropped. I wondered if it was my phone or Metro. Now I know.

I bought an iphone 5s and switched to Cricket. The iphone is not dropping any calls, but I still have problems picking up on the network to access the Internet, and I am only getting an average of two bars signal strength at home and at the university. My conclusion then is that it was neither my phone nor Metro that was the problem, although I am unsure what the problem could be. I do not live very far from either the Air Force base, downtown, or the university area, and I have problems in all these areas. Once I am south of I20, around the Hulen Mall area, the signal strength shoots up to five bars. Something is definitely messing up the signal in my little area of Fort Worth. Just wish I knew what it was.

Cricket Wireless, by the way, has been very nice so far. Unlike Metro, their customer service is great. I can actually easily access customer service via live chat, telephone, and, of course, in store. I am not paying any more than I did at Metro, either, so I am very pleased thus far.
I have actually gotten an OK customer service with Metro PCS. I have used their live chat and called on more than a few occasions. For the most part they have gotten the job done. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same about the local retail stores here in Miami. They are usually overcrowded and it takes a while to get one of the incompetent reps to help you.

Upvote 0
I have actually gotten an OK customer service with Metro PCS. I have used their live chat and called on more than a few occasions. For the most part they have gotten the job done. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same about the local retail stores here in Miami. They are usually overcrowded and it takes a while to get one of the incompetent reps to help you.

I had phone service with Metro for quite a few years. I seldom needed help with anything until I got a smartphone and opened an account on their website. The most frustrating experience was forgetting my password and trying to get help from Metro to reset it. I spoke to someone there several times over a several months period. They always promised to send me a text message to reset it, but it never came. Finally, one day I contacted their customer service number for business customers, and the chap there helped me to resolve the problem. I was relieved, but it should not have taken so many calls and finally a call to customer service for business customers to get the problem resolved.

I would still recommend Metro overall to other people. Their service area is great, and the basic $40 plan is great. Now, however, they have serious competition with Cricket in my opinion. MetroPCS was a true pioneer in mobile phone service, though, and I still respect them. It is just a shame that their customer service is not very good. They do not appear to be very selective in whom they hire. Then again, if they do not pay very well and/or do not offer any benefits (I know nothing about their pay and benefits), their potential pool of employees is quite limited.

Upvote 0

Glad to hear you found a solution to wanting to change your carrier and phone, and found Cricket a good choice after all. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones