• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Indrid Cold

May 3, 2010
North Texas
I'm new to this rooting thing and not sure what to do next...
Just installed and rooted my Droid X(2.2) with z4root by RyanZA. I then opened the Superuser app that was created. Now what??? The Superuser app has no menus, instructions, options, etc. I saw what looked like a list for apps. But there were none listed. So can I assume that I am supposed to populate this list some how??? Or is this Superuser app designed to work with another app or program? It seems to me that one would need access to the phone's file directory. Of course there are all kinds of root apps on the market...

Unfortunately I had a low battery when I downloaded z4root. The battery died on me almost immediately after I opened the app...so I really didn't get to

Welcome to the rooting club! :) Glad you're rooted. Easy answer...the superuser app works in the background. You install and go to run an app for root and it pops up asking you if you want to give that app superuser permissions. So, indeed the superuser app will and should be empty until you begin to populate it with root apps. Again, the root apps need to be opened first, then the superuser app will populate itself. Once you have apps in there, you can change permissions.

I hope this helps you! :)

Reactions: Indrid Cold
Upvote 0
Thanks again. I'm impatiently waiting on my phone to charge now. <grin> Will give it a shot then..

I have heard that Verizon is about to push 2.2.1. What have you heard about his froyo upgrade?

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it's sole purpose is to kill root and add bloatware. Of course they will hide that fact by telling us it does something else...Perhaps us VZ guys should be leary of 2.2.1 huh?

Upvote 0
Thanks again. I'm impatiently waiting on my phone to charge now. <grin> Will give it a shot then..

I have heard that Verizon is about to push 2.2.1. What have you heard about his froyo upgrade?

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it's sole purpose is to kill root and add bloatware. Of course they will hide that fact by telling us it does something else...Perhaps us VZ guys should be leary of 2.2.1 huh?

I would not suggest upgrading right away when it comes out anyways.

Upvote 0
I second the Apex ROM with the REVOlution theme...plus the circle battery mod. Very Fab.

Get
Titanium Backup ? root - Android app on AppBrain
AdFree Android - Android app on AppBrain
AutoKiller Memory Optimizer - Android app on AppBrain
drocap2 for root users - Android app on AppBrain
ROM Manager - Android app on AppBrain
Droid X Recovery Bootstrap - Android app on AppBrain
Quick Boot - Android app on AppBrain ( previously mentioned)
http://www.appbrain.com/app/setcpu-for-root-users/com.mhuang.overclocking (in the apex rom I believe)
Android Terminal Emulator - Android app on AppBrain is a good one
Wireless Tether for Root Users - Android app on AppBrain is a must have

I know there are more, but I can't think off the top of my head! Good Luck!

BACK UP YOUR PHONE BEFORE YOU START MAKING A LOT OF CHANGES --- I FOUND THAT OUT THE HARD WAY! LOL

Reactions: Indrid Cold
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones