• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

NPR app connection interrupt issue

Evanagar

Lurker
May 28, 2010
I have searched quite thoroughly for a solution to this problem, and I have been unable to locate any fixes to my problem. I am not sure if it is due to some settings on my phone or if it is a problem with the application itself.

I frequently use the NPR application to listen to NPR while at work. I usually use the search for station by call sign option because my favorite station is on the east coast, and I now live on the west. Once I select my station and start listening, after about 10 minutes of inactivity on my phone (because my phone is just sitting on my desk or in my pocket) the connection with the station's streaming audio ends, and I have to search for the station again and then resume the stream.

I do not claim to be an android expert, but I am assuming that the phone is going into some type of power saving mode after 10 minutes and that is what is ending the stream. Is there an application that can prevent the phone from going into sleep mode? Or a setting that I can change that will allow my streaming radio to continue, and not have my battery suffer too badly when I am not using the application?

Also, to give a little more background information I am currently using HTC Incredible and to conserve battery usually I have location, wifi, and sync turned off. If you need any more specific details I would be glad to give them. And I greatly appreciate any fix that anyone can provide.

I had the same problem with the NPR app. Another problem I had was that the sound wouldn't cut off when I got a call or it would cut off late. The other side could hear the radio and think they got a bad connection or the wrong number. Also, as you pointed out you have to search for the station again every time you restart the app, which is a big hassle. I just gave up on the NPR app and installed a generic streaming radio app and searched for an NPR/PRI/BBC station (there's tons) and saved the station. Now I just click on the streaming radio app, go to my favorites and choose my station and it starts playing. If the stream is interrupted (which still occasionally happens) all I need to do is press the play button again for it to start up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones