• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

NSA Secretly Collecting Phone Records

Thanks but be aware folks that Aurora is not even in beta status. It's PRE-beta. Beta by its nature means to expect problems/bugs/crashes, etc. PRE-beta means - PLAN on them.

Just want folks to know what they're signing up for.

Figured I would Share

Https Everywhere Available For Android & Mobile & Newer seemingly Stable Firefox mobile browser Also Seems A lot faster then Beta off Playstore

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/mobile/aurora/

https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere
View attachment 67522View attachment 67523

Upvote 0
This may be informative, they've had a few articles on this -

Eyes-on: Blackphone and PrivateOS [VIDEO]

yeah.. I read a little up on that.
there seems to be a few things that make it a NO go for me.

1. only works if both callers have this type of phone/service. if one has non blackphone. then most of the security goes out the door

2. it is a subscription to the service. with the phone, you get 1 yr of service. afterwards.. you have to renew it or get a new phone.

3. having to convince others to join in this paranoid phone communication group.

I hate that others can see what I am doing.. saying.. going..
but my life aint all that interesting.. so whatever...
I cant see myself and friends going through all that

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
read somewhere the other day that they had admitted to activating peoples cameras on their PCs to spy on people

while intercepting phone records or recording conversations is bad enough..... a case could be made that its not private since its OTA..... much like something you do in a public mall

but absolutely zero case could be made for spying on someone through their camera...... clearly thats a violation of your privacy..... thats no different than actually entering your home

guess I have to close the bedroom door when Im swinging from the ceiling fan naked from now on

Upvote 0
This morning's revelation is that the NSA has been storing recordings of ALL calls made in an unnamed country.

The more you hear, the more obvious it becomes that Snowdon actually is a hero and his refusal to return to the US to face trial actually is the right thing to do. Think how many revelations there have been in the months he's been on the lam - none of which we'd ever have found out about if he'd come back and faced trial. There have been more and more outrageous things revealed almost every week. You have to wonder what's next.

Reactions: Kritter888
Upvote 0
This morning's revelation is that the NSA has been storing recordings of ALL calls made in an unnamed country.

The more you hear, the more obvious it becomes that Snowdon actually is a hero and his refusal to return to the US to face trial actually is the right thing to do. Think how many revelations there have been in the months he's been on the lam - none of which we'd ever have found out about if he'd come back and faced trial. There have been more and more outrageous things revealed almost every week. You have to wonder what's next.

That is true I mean of course Eric Holder has no problem giving back the voting rights that are supposed to be unalienable rights when anybody you vote for Congress & Senate and even a Presidential candidate are all puppets on strings that can be blackmailed by these programs to at change tunes when they once stand for something strongly then all the sudden make a quick change of feeling & heart on that stance they once stood for to change probably because they where blackmailed someone to change their position on a vote to pass a certain law. Imagine if these programs didnt come out to delight and how many laws have passed By using this method!! All I know is someone like Senator Feinstein someone who Once stood for the programs strongly even though hypocritical finally after it happens to her believes she had no choice but to out her outraged voice on air her disgust so if it happens to Senate you can believe that it happens to all branches. So why not give back a right to vote that supposed to be unimposable if it doesn't matter who you vote for when it won't matter Just Expensive( puppets) & nonviolent offenders they want to release they use the color card for this however I believe anyone since this program started in full didn't have a fair or proper legal trial if defense didn't have the same information and how the information was obtained I think that's probably why they call us the prison planet & the police state, I think all the defense attorneys they had losses the count against their record of losses should make sure all those clients that were lost cases any of this information coming out could be useful & should try and get retrials, versus make it sound like they're doing them nonviolent offenders a favor by letting them out early when they were probably wrongly prosecuted in the first place

Upvote 0
:( Some people just don't get it!

Fact: Nations spy on nations since the beginning of times.

Snowdon recent revelations are damaging the U.S. and the UK image around the world for the sake of what???

:p Is hilarious that Snowdon is finding refuge behind the infamous "Iron curtain", when Russia is a country that never moved on from the "Cold War"and Russia is also definitely spying on us all! (That same applies to China.) ...today Russia is happily learning and collecting information from Snowdon "the hero" to learn more on how to spy on us all better.

Modern technology comes at a price of being monitored by someone or something.
:( This is a sad world we live in and unfortunately we are all being targeted and monitored by all of the above nations.

ps:
;) I really enjoy to use "Google Now" on my Android devices.

... Irony or just Sarcasm?!

Upvote 0
It is said that you get what you pay for. My question is what exactly has Verizon, and any other company that has participated in the NSA/Citizens spy ring paid for? What have they gotten in return that has made it cost worthy to dump on their customers?

What has the government promised not to do to them? What has the government promised to do for them?

Most businesses would turn a stone face to anyone who wanted something as simple as a customer list, yet these businesses gave away much more.

My question is what is this going to cost me as a consumer other than perhaps my privacy?

These businesses not only provide phone service they also provide internet access.

What has the government promised to give them in return? What has the government already given them?

Upvote 0
It is said that you get what you pay for. My question is what exactly has Verizon, and any other company that has participated in the NSA/Citizens spy ring paid for? What have they gotten in return that has made it cost worthy to dump on their customers?

What has the government promised not to do to them? What has the government promised to do for them?

Most businesses would turn a stone face to anyone who wanted something as simple as a customer list, yet these businesses gave away much more.

My question is what is this going to cost me as a consumer other than perhaps my privacy?

These businesses not only provide phone service they also provide internet access.

What has the government promised to give them in return? What has the government already given them?

Sorry you've got that wrong. Most companies would happily so the customer this in a heartbeat and do it everyday. Maybe you should look into that before making assumptions at Companies care about anything more than money because really that's probably all they're getting for this.

Upvote 0
Okay, you are confusing me. I did in fact imply that the companies likely participated in the spy ring for financial gain.

Also, companies are likely to sell customer information, only if it has a positive outcome on their bottom line. Meaning, they ain't given it away for free, and certainly not to someone who might give the information to a competitor. So, even when they do sell, or share the information it will be to an associate company that stands to gain, but only to the benefit of both companies.

This doesn't mean that one of your employees would hesitate to give your companies customer list to anyone who offers too give them a free cooler, but such a thing is generally frowned upon, and anyone who has done such a thing might not want to show off and brag about how they got their new cooler while at work.

What I am saying is that the companies that participated in the spy ring gave up something big, and that they have, or will receive something just as big in return. I doubt seriously it was cash up front. In today's market a promise from the government to do, or not to do something could be worth billions.

Upvote 0
It should be amazing the NSA Might get into more trouble for spying on Germany and other various countries.

Americans can be outraged that the NSA is spying on American citizens and giving that information to foreign governments, but that is pretty much the extent of what we can do.

We could vote people out of office, but both parties are equally guilty and any attempt to punish by vote would only give one party an opportunity for gain by abstaining punishment and simply voting their own party in, in the hope that the opposite party will show more integrity and vote their own out.

I would not be in the least surprised in the next election if promises to clamp down on the NSA and any other governmental power abuser isn't listed right at the top of all candidate blogs and web pages.

We all know what political promises are worth. Talk show host sit around and casually talk about what a joke political/election promises actually are, and point out how the rest of us know it.

Even when an effort is made to to keep a political promise the end result is nowhere near what is needed or expected.

It reminds me of an insurance company I once dealt with that every time I dropped a bit of insurance in effort to get the bill lower they would send me a letter thanking me, telling me the requested changes had been made, then I would get a bill that was higher than the last.

The amazing thing is that Germany and other foreign countries have more leverage when dealing with our government than we do.

Upvote 0
It should be amazing the NSA Might get into more trouble for spying on Germany and other various countries.

Americans can be outraged that the NSA is spying on American citizens and giving that information to foreign governments, but that is pretty much the extent of what we can do.

We could vote people out of office, but both parties are equally guilty and any attempt to punish by vote would only give one party an opportunity for gain by abstaining punishment and simply voting their own party in, in the hope that the opposite party will show more integrity and vote their own out.

I would not be in the least surprised in the next election if promises to clamp down on the NSA and any other governmental power abuser isn't listed right at the top of all candidate blogs and web pages.

We all know what political promises are worth. Talk show host sit around and casually talk about what a joke political/election promises actually are, and point out how the rest of us know it.

Even when an effort is made to to keep a political promise the end result is nowhere near what is needed or expected.

It reminds me of an insurance company I once dealt with that every time I dropped a bit of insurance in effort to get the bill lower they would send me a letter thanking me, telling me the requested changes had been made, then I would get a bill that was higher than the last.

The amazing thing is that Germany and other foreign countries have more leverage when dealing with our government than we do.

Especially since they were one of the allies we had that is against Putin. Who who would try to help us when it's known to the world we spy on them..

Upvote 0
not to be arrogant, or meerika rules,.... but anybody we tell to help us will

without our support they will quickly become south russia or west china

Quite frankly, I highly disagree.. Our currency is rapidly losing value, our president is weakening our military and Putin is literally just doing whatever he wants. I'm sorry to say this, but at least if Bush was in office you wouldn't see this happening. He might have been stupid, but he was a scary person too.
So why should they give a crap about what our government has to say? It's not like we're the most liked country in the world, and this whole getting caught with the NSA controversy doesn't make that any better.

As far as I can tell countries are pushing anti America propaganda like we're evil, and it seems to me like it's working. We have allies but we're burning those bridges

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones