1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support NTFS partiton on 8Gb SD card

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JumpinJupiter, Aug 9, 2013.

1. JumpinJupiter

JumpinJupiter Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 3, 2013
    Hello everybody! This is about the 4GB limit on Fat 32 the partiton most SD cards use. Well I bought an 8GB SD card manily to download things on my phone while at school. Well I wanted to download OpenSUSE but cannot becuase of the 4GB limit.

So what I was thinking was make an NTFS filesystem on the SD card and also a Fat 32 partiton and give it something like 32 MB so I will not have to hear Andriod complain it cannot read the SD card. next go on the playstore and download an NTFS mounter and I should be good!

Problem is we all know this phone has a strange partiton scheme and I do not know how it would react! I wanted to do this in Gparted but for some reason it thinks my SD card is unallocated space.

Any tips?

If push comes to shove I will just format it to Ext4 since my computer has Mint and can read it. I could also make it exFat,too. Can andriod mount that by defualt?

Advertisement

2. jmpiv4

jmpiv4 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 28, 2012
    Male
    4GB is only the limit for a single file size not the partition size 32GB is the max partition/volume size, you could partition it and there are some ntfs mounting apps on the play store. I personally do NOT recommend exfat on this phone I just tried it and almost ruined my card..