• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nuance takes too long to open

caspertodd

Nov 16, 2009
Murfreesboro, TN
Does anyone else's Nuance take about 14 to 15 seconds to open? I would like to use the voice command function, but with it taking this long I end up just using the phone's interface to do what I need, such as calling someone.

Also, is there any way to set the dialer as the default when you press the phone button? It goes to call log first, and I can't figure out how to change it.

Does anyone else's Nuance take about 14 to 15 seconds to open? I would like to use the voice command function, but with it taking this long I end up just using the phone's interface to do what I need, such as calling someone.

Also, is there any way to set the dialer as the default when you press the phone button? It goes to call log first, and I can't figure out how to change it.

There is a delay in Nuance launch not sure why, also found it much better when set to Expert mode as well, anything else was very frustrating.

I have a dialer shortcut on my home page and when I open it, it's at the dialpad?

Upvote 0
I have a dialer shortcut on my home page and when I open it, it's at the dialpad?

Ditto here!

And mine takes about the same amount of time as well. Pretty strange since it is always running in the background. It is always running on Taskiller and when I kill it, it pops right back up.

I will also comment that the voice command on the Instinct was FAR superior to this thing.

Upvote 0
I will also comment that the voice command on the Instinct was FAR superior to this thing.

Absolutely! I was just telling my coworkers that I just gave up a phone that did the basic functions so well (Instinct), for a phone that doesn't, but gives me a whole bunch of gadgety apps. I use my wife's Instinct when I need a GPS, I use my phone when I need to find which way is up (which way is up app) :p.

I still love my Moment though, and would not trade it for anything.

As far as creating a shortcut for the dialer, I just can't get myself to create a shortcut for something that I have a physical button for.

Upvote 0
On Moment, looking under About in Nuance Voice Control the device is listed as Instinct-Q. Clearly NVC was minimally modified for Moment/Android. Its start up time depends on how recently it was used. Even though Nuance task is always loaded in memory (always in TasKiller) the first time it is used there is a noticeable delay and starts with "please wait..", and if tried soon after it is reasonable when selected from homepage and a bit longer with physical button, irrespective of Audio modes settings. Testing to see if start up time will improve if NVC is included in TasKiller Ignore list. Have not used NVC on another device but had another device whose voice control was superior. Hoping it will be improved by the time of upgrade to Android 2.0.

Upvote 0
By superior, what are you guys comparing to? Having to inflect oddly to get correct dialing or something like that? As I said earlier, I had this issue because default mode is very annoying and worked horribly, but expert mode works 99% of the time for me, and no odd annunciations by me are needed. Actually works better than the LG Voyager I had previously

Upvote 0
By superior, what are you guys comparing to?

I'm comparing to my Instinct that I upgraded from. On it, when I pressed the voice command button, it immediately said "say a command". I would say "call home" for instance, and it would call home.

On the Moment, I press the voice command button and wait for about 15 seconds, then it says "say a command". I say "call home", and about 50% of the time it gets it right.

On the Instinct, I never trained it. On the Moment after having issues, I trained it and it still isn't always right. I can deal with the accuracy issue, it's the slowness that makes this feature unusable to me.

I almost want to reactivate my Instinct and use it as a phone and GPS, and use my Moment for everything else.

Upvote 0
I'm comparing to my Instinct that I upgraded from. On it, when I pressed the voice command button, it immediately said "say a command". I would say "call home" for instance, and it would call home.

On the Moment, I press the voice command button and wait for about 15 seconds, then it says "say a command". I say "call home", and about 50% of the time it gets it right.

On the Instinct, I never trained it. On the Moment after having issues, I trained it and it still isn't always right. I can deal with the accuracy issue, it's the slowness that makes this feature unusable to me.

You are still in default mode, training didn't do much for me either. EXPERT mode will correct all the issues you have, minus the slow start up (which I assume is bad memory management).

Open Voice control, go to Menu, Settings. Click on Audio Mode and select Expert. that's it, bet ya it works as good as Instinct now, or at least hope it does ... ;)

Upvote 0
Yep, it was in prompt mode rather than expert. I went in just now and set it to expert. I will see how that goes. Thanks for the help!

When I opened Nuance to make the change, it asked if I wanted to Force close or wait for it to open. That is crazy that it takes that long! Yes, it does work fairly quick when you immediately go back into Nuance for a second time, but I never immediately go back in. I will use voice dial, make the call, hang up...then a while later go to use it again.

It's not a huge deal, I just mainly wanted to see if it was just my phone.

Upvote 0
Does anyone else's Nuance take about 14 to 15 seconds to open?

14 to 15 seconds is way too long. Start up takes about 3-4 seconds (was almost instantaneous on prev device) on my Moment. I keep the memory fairly lean removing unneeded apps such as Sprint apps, Gmail, Messaging etc. using Taskiller and use minimal widgets. Only necessary apps like com.*, K-9 and Handcent SMS are left in memory. It raised a flag when you mentioned Force close trying to use/modify Nuance VC. That never happened to me. See how it works out after you lean out the memory.

Upvote 0
The delay is there in a native Moment as well. It just seems like there is bad preload or memory issues with the way it is handled in the phone. More than likely will need a base OS update or app update to correct the lag in opening. As far as the function when in Expert mode, it's darn near perfect now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones