• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nube w/a new Moto X4, should I upg to 8.1 ?

Mac29

Oct 12, 2018
After a month trying to get my number ported (Tracfone) I'm up and running and trying to research the upgrade to 8.1 and security patches. Is the upgrade mandatory for the patches? Are there any downsides to going 8.1? Any items like this Nova launcher that are a clear winner? I've heard there's an app that makes the camera much better.

Just don't want to screw up anything and can't revert. First smartphone. I believe under settings I can default to Wi-Fi calls if available. But I wonder about security settings if I do that.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mac

I have the Moto X4 and got it a few days after release. I'm on the latest update and it is fine. You will need to do the 8.1 update to get all of the security patches. I use Nova launcher as I prefer it to Moto's launcher. Lastly, I use WiFi calling and texting when I am in low coverage areas or overseas and it works OK. One downside is that there is a weird error (91) that occurs and you can't use WiFi calling until you reboot. My best research indicates that this is a problem with T-Mobile though, not the X4, so it is probably not a problem for you.

Finally, welcome to AndroidForums. :)

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
Unforgiven,

Thanks for the feedback. OK I'll upgrade to 8.1 & patches. I won't be using too many apps at first. Right now I'm still trying to figure out how to check for missed calls/messages. It's going to be a bit of a curve but luckily there's the internetAndroidforums.com.

Cheers,

Mac
FTFY :p

Seriously, don't be afraid to ask here. It's a friendly, helpful bunch here that don't mind helping a new member learn to make their device work for them. :)

Reactions: Clementine_3
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones