• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Number count next to message icon is gone

JunieBug

Lurker
Oct 16, 2018
Hi- First time posting in a forum so forgive me if this has been answered already. Simple thing but not so simple to get back. The message badge/icon used to have a little number next to it when there were unread messages. That is gone and I would like to know if there is a way to get it back.
Thanks for your patience.

Hi.

What so your carrier ?
What app(s) are you referring to?
Did you install or uninstall anything prior to this?
Did you soft reset the device?
Did you do a cache wipe? Search the internet for “note 8 cache partition wipe”
Did you over any apps to SD card?
Are you rooted (most likely not, but wanted to ask )
Did you recently I get an update from your carrier?
Are you using samsung stock launcher or a 3rd party launcher (i.e nova)?

Try this “settings--> apps --> 3 dots in upper right corner -> special access -> notification access -> samsung experience home-> switch on. ”

Upvote 0
Hi
Sprint
The text message app that came with phone
Just regular updates that Samsung sends
soft reset? not sure
no cache wipe - will try at home
no apps on SD card
rooted...not sure
I have had a few updates in the past yr so not sure
stock launcher I assume
The Samsung experience is on.

I will try these when I get home and get back to you!

Thanks so much

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
I'm having the same issue ever since a few security updates ago. I am not rooted and have an unlocked, carrier free Note8 but am currently on T-mobile's network. I use ADW-launcher Two which also offers app badges but I have opted to use Samsung's version. Textra's badge works but my third party email app's badge does not even though it once did. I tried the soft reset and cache wipe. I have Samsung Experience toggled on. I am at a loss.

Upvote 0
im using nova and telsa and all the apps with badges and numbers all work. for email i use outlook.
on the note 8 last year , maybe a month after release, i had the same issue as the op (still used nova and tesla unread). the issue was an update was needed to tesla unread and once that update hit, the badge icon issue went away. i have not seen it since and dont today and i have 3 note 9s similarly setup...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones