• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Number of Rings?

NightsSatin

Mar 23, 2010
I can not remember what the # code is to change the number of rings before it goes to voice mail.

Actually I don't even think that is the question.

When one calls my phone it rings 3 or so times before the actual handset starts to ring. Therefore I miss a lot of calls, as it seems my friends don't think to leave message and assume I will see the missed call. Is there a way to change that, so it handset rings earlier?

It's still best to post the remedy for your issue once found; many clicking on a topic title are looking for that. ;)

So:

The "slot cycle" is a one digit code number which represents a time in seconds or parts of a second between your phone's polling of the nearest tower for incoming calls. The lower the number the shorter the time, and vice versa.

Change the slot cycle by going to phone and dialing ##778 as if making a call.. press "call" then wait a bit.. then "edit mode," then "000000" as the password, then "modem," then "slot cycle index."

Make your setting, then don't forget to press menu and save your settings. It'll reboot.

Upvote 0
Unless I am mistaken, you have to use the hard "call" button on your phone as opposed to the soft button on the dialer. Also, this function doesn't work on all rooted ROMs. For example. I have yet to get it to work on any Froyo ROM which is why I keep a nandroid backup of xtrROM 4.2.1 on my phone in case I need to use this feature.

Upvote 0
Frisco if I could thank you 10 times I would.

My phone is like NightsSatin's. It would ring 3 times before you ever heard anything. Then I'd only get a couple audible rings Tonight my Uncle called because my grandmother had hit her Lifeline button, the service was calling him, and he was out of town. He needed someone to run down to her house. I missed the call because this stupid phone. It was several minutes before I got back to him.

Now if I could get the phone so that if doesn't hang up on the call if you just barely touch anything on the screen while you are getting it out of your pocket.

Everything was fine with Grandma BTW. She hit it by mistake.

Upvote 0
Frisco if I could thank you 10 times I would.

My phone is like NightsSatin's. It would ring 3 times before you ever heard anything. Then I'd only get a couple audible rings Tonight my Uncle called because my grandmother had hit her Lifeline button, the service was calling him, and he was out of town. He needed someone to run down to her house. I missed the call because this stupid phone. It was several minutes before I got back to him.

Now if I could get the phone so that if doesn't hang up on the call if you just barely touch anything on the screen while you are getting it out of your pocket.

Everything was fine with Grandma BTW. She hit it by mistake.

Similar situation. I didn't get the initial call at 3am when my Grandfather passed away in August. I have let just about everyone at Verizon know about this too. :(

Upvote 0
Similar situation. I didn't get the initial call at 3am when my Grandfather passed away in August. I have let just about everyone at Verizon know about this too. :(

As I reach for the phone in my pocket, I always touch the screen no matter how hard I try, and it hangs up on the call.

I assume Verizon has not been too sympathetic or you'd have a new phone? I've considered calling and complaining in hopes of a sooner upgrade date.

Upvote 0
Hi, I just tried the ##778 (both with the on-screen and the trackball) but got a recording saying I've reached an invalid extension. No further choices seem available. Am I missing something about how to get to "edit" mode?

My phone is a Sprint Hero if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

Carol

This is a Droid Eris forum, which is a Verizon phone. Sprint probably has different numbers that would need to be dialed for this kind of thing, so check out the CDMA Hero forum.

Reactions: clightdc
Upvote 0
##778 no longer works on Verizon. I just tried it. Anyone know what it got changed to?

It works - I just tried it - but not on a CM based ROM, like GSB or CELB Froyo. If you need to ##778, run xtrROM or xtrSENSE. (Based on your sig that you are running GSB, that's probably why it is not working for you.)

It also probably will not work while you are roaming.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones