1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support Numbers and letters

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by medic, Jan 3, 2011.

1. medic

medic New Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Is there a way to tell the Droid that when you are in a phone number slot or zip code slot to type numbers and not letters? I keep forgetting to hit the alt key when i type. On my BB, it was smart enough to know that places that need numbers to use the numbers on the key board.

Help!

Advertisement

2. Welcome to the forums, medic.

I remember that feature from my Blackberry days, and I miss it sometimes, too.

I've gotten used to just hitting that number key.. but I'll bet some of the third party keyboard apps have the capability you're looking for. Perhaps a search in Market under "keyboard" will yield one with the feature you're looking for.

3. google123

google123 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I believe part of it is that sometimes the apps themselves govern which characters are allowed in a field. For example, sometimes I forget to press the alt button and it enters numbers anyways but at other times I have to press alt.

4. frankbonatelli

frankbonatelli Well-Known Member

May 13, 2010
    Globally employed
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    SO I just tested Frisco's theory regarding a different keyboard app and as I had purchased iTap for use with my Desire i tried it on the Droid pro too. So when I clicked into a text input field that is for numbers (my test was a new contact) and I clicked into the phone number box it auto magically switches to numbers only when I am using the Droid! Sweet discovery. Works for all number only input boxes as long as the developers code them as such.
    Very nice hint I was missing this as well.
    Thanks