• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

NVIDIA Tegra3 Quad Core vs Apple's A5X Dual Core Heavyweight Battle Coming Soon

Goose, nothing you typed takes away that battery discussion is superfluous since the iPad pushes a LOT more pixels and has quad graphics. Due to the powerful wifi, my guess is that is part of it too.

None the less, comparing a device with almost a quarter the pixels and weaker gpu and wifi seems off.

The Infinity will be the comparison. As far as the iPad being an EF, seems over three million sold through in less than two weeks and very positive reviews refute that.

Added:

Still, iTunes as the only data portal sucks, none the less. Also, not sure about charging from dead, since not sure if completely dead when charged.

Upvote 0
Goose, nothing you typed takes away that battery discussion is superfluous since the iPad pushes a LOT more pixels and has quad graphics. Due to the powerful wifi, my guess is that is part of it too.

None the less, comparing a device with almost a quarter the pixels and weaker gpu and wifi seems off.

The Infinity will be the comparison. As far as the iPad being an EF, seems over three million sold through in less than two weeks and very positive reviews refute that.

Added:

Still, iTunes as the only data portal sucks, none the less. Also, not sure about charging from dead, since not sure if completely dead when charged.

What seems off in the comparison is that a new device (iPad) fails in comparison to the Prime (older). The Prime wins that comparison hands down, every single time. If you disagree, you might be a fanboy;).

I don't need to compare the infinity, as this generation's device blows the ipad away.

Why do we need to compare something else?

Upvote 0
We agree to disagree then, since the wifi on the Prime I tried out and wanted to keep had near A500 bad wifi. As far as a fanboy, seems your posts calling the iPad an epic fail when Anandtech and many others call it the exact opposite suggests perhaps the fanboy mantra is better suited ;) My 5,000 plus posts supporting Android products suggests I may not be.

BTW, Anandtech also expects the Tegra 3 to lag even further in performance in the Infinity since it already is almost twice as slow as the new iPad and only pushing 1280X800 pixels. Does not take much extrapolation skills to suggest the Infinty might have a hard time.

If the wifi worked better on the Prime, we would be on more common ground, since I agree that if you can only have ONE tablet, the Prime (with better wifi) is better, since you can use game controllers, play emulators, true Flash support and no iTunes dependency. For me, the wifi is so bad on the Prime, it nulls the good things.

Upvote 0
On this we must agree, the new iPad is an EF in regards to battery as explained here-

The iPad’s charging challenge explained - Apple, Mac, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Reviews, Help, Tips, and News | Macworld Australia

The new iPad charges extremely slowly when using simultaneously, and may even DISCHARGE when charging while using graphic intensive/bright screen! WHAT was that? It actually will discharge while charging? I'm sorry, but this is insanity.

Also, from the link, The third-generation iPad: The newest iPad has even heftier charging requirements than its predecessors, for a couple reasons. First, it has considerably more battery capacity than the first two iPads

Upvote 0
Goose, you are funny :)

I think Anandtech is the best source for reference and they fit with my view. Amazing display and graphics and great battery life even when watching video or streaming Netflix. Most people do not run their devices down to nothing and charge over night. With about twelve hours battery life for the wifi version (that is the longest without charger used and it still had 20%- I remembered and why five about hours to charge).

Wifi was the killer for me and the Prime and I gave it two chances. Too big of an issue for me, in spite of all of the goodness, but my perspective would be different if it was a lot better.

I could have been Goose 2.

Added:

Please read the review at Anandtech. They point out the tech facts.

Upvote 0
Reactions: Gooser91
Upvote 0
I do love it when Apple comes back to defend itself.

Even when you think the company can't defend against the indefensible, it does - and wins. The way Apple convinced people there was no antenna problem on the iPhone 4 was amazing; even going on to release software updates to stop the phone dropping so suddenly, blaming the networks and then spending ages showing how you could make other phones lose signal!

The fanboys took it as proof, while the 'haters' just laughed and wondered how in the world any other company could ever do the same thing.

You have to hand it to Apple!

Reactions: Gooser91
Upvote 0
The heat issue should eventually be a non issue because developers are having to take this into account and will probably restrict certain functions to protect the battery and reduce the load on the processor (and most importantly, the GPU).

I'm sure that as long as images and text still get to look pin-sharp, nobody will really notice. However, it might mean the iPad won't perform as well as it could otherwise do.

The problem is that developers are moaning amongst themselves, but don't want to be named or go on record to say all of the problems. While you can slag off Android as much as you want (it may actually help in the long run), you just don't want to fall out with Apple if you want to continue to have a way of distributing your apps!

The good thing about Apple and most of its customers is that few would ever admit that they felt like they made a mistake, or what they bought wasn't the best. It's therefore vital to ensure you tell everyone it was the best, even if you're in total denial!

Upvote 0
My Tegra 2 Thrive and the Transformer (not Prime) gets as hot as the iPad 3, but due to the plastic, seems cooler.

As far as the Prime, I think there is truth that a revised Prime is shipping soon-ish. Best Buy has no stock coming in and this is confirmed based on their open orders to their distribution warehouses. There are none for the current SKUs, based on the current stock availability and what is available to stores- based on their product status in their point of sale system.

Considering Best Buy is Asus number one retailer (non mail order), seems Best Buy would have stock or stock coming in if the current Prime is not being revised. Best Buy has plenty of keyboards and other accessories for the Prime they would like to attach to Prime tablet sales.

On a side note, I am going to test Mame Reloaded on the Prime and see how well Dead or Alive and Soul Caliber play on it (slow using the Razr and Thrive dual cores). If results are good for those games, or at least some other games that are not as cpu intensive (that play slow on dual cores), I will have to consider the Prime again- especially if the back panel is changed.

Added:

For game emulators the high res screens are a cpu liability (Prime better option than the Infinity), so I would use the Prime for mainly gaming and the iPad 3 for other things (Garage Band, iOS only games, web, comics).

Upvote 0
That's correct.
Apple owns the Tablet market today.
But 3 years ago they owned the smart phone market. Android passed them about a year ago and has not looked back. I saw a report today, that in the US, Android now has over a 50% share of ALL smart phones combined. The Android system is beating their brains in . . .
Let's see where the iPad stands 2 years from now.

Upvote 0
That's correct.
Apple owns the Tablet market today.
But 3 years ago they owned the smart phone market. Android passed them about a year ago and has not looked back. I saw a report today, that in the US, Android now has over a 50% share of ALL smart phones combined. The Android system is beating their brains in . . .
Let's see where the iPad stands 2 years from now.

I don't see Apple envying androids position. Not at all in fact.

piper-111121.jpg

Apple doesn't play the that game. Never has. There are many interviews with Steve Jobs out there, and market share alone has never been their primary focus.

If it was, Apple would have started selling junk box $300 desktops years ago.

Upvote 0
Tegra games still give a better visual experience than their iOS counterparts (as seen here: <snip> ).
That's right, developers can get their apps promoted on the Tegra Zone if they update them with specific content for Tegra only devices, and I think they even get some support from NVidia.
I think that's a teeny weeny bit OTT, but there are definitely issues with it - and if developers are p**sed off too, given they can't make games that take full advantage of the chipset because it causes the thing to overheat, Apple will probably have to work quite quickly on the next 'new' iPad.
'Overheating' is the wrong word because it's not overheating, it's operating within thermal specifications. It does get quite warm, but I don't see why anyone would be bothered by that -- if they are, they can return it. The heat won't damage the device.
I believe the iPad 3 sold three million in four days.

>>>>>

The iPad 3 takes two hours longer to charge than the iPad 2, a total of six hours. (All iPads come with a 10 watt charger.)

The display on the iPad 3 consumes 7 watts per hour at 100% brightness, compared to the iPad 2's 2.7 watts. The A5X at full load consumes about 3 watts. So if you're gaming at 100% brightness, the iPad 3 will actually discharge very slowly.

Upvote 0
That's funny, I guess launch day for him was a month after it actually launched, since no one had them in stores because all units were allocated for online presales through Gamestop, amazon, office depot and best buy online. "You must have magic grits"

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
'Overheating' is the wrong word because it's not overheating, it's operating within thermal specifications. It does get quite warm, but I don't see why anyone would be bothered by that -- if they are, they can return it. The heat won't damage the device.

Yes, you are right that it's perhaps the wrong word as it implies it could damage the device. However, while it may be within limits - it CAN cause the device to freeze and bring up the warning to let it cool down. Secondly, it can under extreme load actually drain power quicker from the battery than the charger can top it up.

That is an issue and the problem developers are talking about. Nobody wants to release an app that causes either of the above problems.

Upvote 0
Yes, you are right that it's perhaps the wrong word as it implies it could damage the device. However, while it may be within limits - it CAN cause the device to freeze and bring up the warning to let it cool down. Secondly, it can under extreme load actually drain power quicker from the battery than the charger can top it up.

That is an issue and the problem developers are talking about. Nobody wants to release an app that causes either of the above problems.

I'll let you know when my iPad shuts down...you'll be waiting awhile. It gets charged every 2-3 days which is about the same as my sold off Asus Tranformer.

And exactly what developers are you referring to?

Upvote 0
I'll let you know when my iPad shuts down...you'll be waiting awhile. It gets charged every 2-3 days which is about the same as my sold off Asus Tranformer.

And exactly what developers are you referring to?

And it will take equally long to charge back up! hahahaha LAWL

6 hours for full charge I mean....

Lets not forget that heat is a batterys worst enemy. Putting a li-on battery next to heat will decrease its lifespan HUGELY. Batterys in laptops lose ~60% in 1 year because they are located by heat. Apple failed with the new iPad guys. time to just admit it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones