1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

O2 Next Update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Jashe, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Jashe

Jashe Newbie

Hello

Im on O2 and on 2.33. Do you know when the next update is for Galaxy Ace

Thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Jashe

Jashe Newbie

The firmware is

PDA:KPY/PHONE:KPA/CSC:KP1 (CPW)

Thanks

3. Jashe

Jashe Newbie

please reply

4. GrahamF

GrahamF Android Enthusiast

Hi, same again Jashe, the answer to this is on several threads on this forum! just search with keywords & the answers are all here! virtually any question you have, or any tip you need is covered here, several times. ;)

5. insekticide

insekticide Well-Known Member

2.3.3 is the current one. Updates come from Kies, not O2.

6. wearethestorm

wearethestorm Member

Pretty sure O2 do a whole bunch of their own testing, add any extras they want, and then approve the update to go on kies... So it is O2 that's holding the update up. Virgin and vodafone had theirs ages ago..

I still check almost daily for an update, but there never is one. I fear there never will be!

7. insekticide

insekticide Well-Known Member

Ok, maybe aprove but you still update through kies.

8. GrahamF

GrahamF Android Enthusiast

Hi, you are pretty much right! 02 do their own tests etc & will only release a stable upgrade. Virgin/Vodafone/3 etc... all released various versions already, but with several bugs! I often pop into 02 headquarters at Slough for an update of the situation & they tell me that they will not be upgrading until they are happy it is stable, non-laggy & bug free. So could be a long wait! :rolleyes: Hope this helps. Graham.

wearethestorm and squitten like this.
  9. squitten

squitten Well-Known Member

Thanks for us letting know about that Graham. I check for updates using Kies at least once a week. I rather stick to official updates than do unofficial updates using ODIN, I heard some people have had problems updating phone unofficially. I used to update my old phone (OSF/ ZTE Blade) quite often but I'm 6 months into a 24 months contract with my SGA & I'll have to buy a new phone if I end up bricking it!!

10. Brian566

Brian566 Well-Known Member

What if your Phone is Sim free does kies no what network you are on and pick the update acording to providers!!!!!!!

If you are on O2 sim then if you put a Vodaphone or Virgin sim does it Upgrade then ?????

11. wearethestorm

wearethestorm Member

I can take the waiting, it's the non-communication of when they hope to have the update that's annoying! Checking every couple of days since October for an update that never appears is kind of irritating.. Maybe you could ask them next time to give us a timescale ;)

12. Brian566

Anybody found this out yet ???????

13. wearethestorm

wearethestorm Member

Perhaps someone could tweet O2 (like PJ147 does with 3) to see when the next update is coming? And find out the answer to Brian566's question?

I'd do it but I don't have a twitter account!

Brian566 likes this.
  14. chrcol

chrcol Well-Known Member

yeah I am on O2 also, I checked on kies earlier and thought my computer firewall was blocking it as was saying 2.3.3 the latest when there is many newer firmwares. But seems its just O2 holding it up.

My phone is rooted and unlocked now tho so I guess I could use other firmwares however will stick with the O2 one for now as I have got my mods to work on it.

15. wearethestorm

wearethestorm Member

Thought I'd try e-mailing O2 as I don't have twitter...

One day later and I have three e-mails from them. The first one telling me that they've e-mailed me twice already. The other two, one telling me how to find out what version my phone is running, and the other a link (that doesn't work) to a pdf on how to update. So nothing about when the next update is actually coming like I asked!!

Brian566 likes this.
  16. wearethestorm

wearethestorm Member

Finally got a response to my question from O2... they are 'unable to comment' on when the next update will be. I tried talking to an online guru too, no information from them either..

17. Brian566

thats what i can not understand if its a Sim free phone why does Kies have to wait for 02!!!!!:mad:

May try a Voda or 3 sim card

18. Jashe

Jashe Newbie

Hi bryan,
    Im so annoyed with o2 but also happy with o2 as they have a secure update. my phone is also a sim free phone from Phones for U and my firmware is CPW. Dont understand why carphone warehouse comes into this. I stated this thread long ago, and also emailed o2 but they said there wont be an update for a long time!
    Time to switch provider then!

19. Jashe

Jashe Newbie

anyone on 02, can you please say which version of gingerbread you are on? Thanks

20. chrcol

chrcol Well-Known Member

21. Bakuron

Bakuron Member

Edit: After reading around it appears Carphone Warehouse supply their own firmware (regardless of network) to the phones they sell. I bought an Ace on Vodafone from them, but because it's CPW, 2.3.3 is still regarded as the latest available through Kies.

Samsung Galaxy Ace Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Ace release date was February 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.5" inch screen, 5MP camera, 278GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1350mAh battery.

February 2011
Release Date
Reviews