• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help O2 samsung galaxy update troubles

jefflimna

Lurker
May 2, 2010
Hi, i'm using a UK O2 samsung galaxy and i'm trying to upgrade the firmware on it (hopefully to improve battery life).

However when i plug the phone into my laptop the NPS software doesn't recognise that there is a phone attached and instead tells me i have 2 mass storage devices connected (an F and an E drive).

Does anyone know why this might be? and more importantly how to fix it so i can do the upgrade?

Any help will be gratefuly received (especially if it's in simple language i can understand ;))

I'm using :
Windows XP, NPS 1.4.0 IL2,
and the phone is running:
firmware version 1.5 (i think this is actually the android build), kernal 2.6.27 hudson@andy #1, Baseband version I7500XXIH6

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, i was unable to find anything relating to this using the search function.

Cheers,
jeff

it should still update with nps to ik4
disconnect the device
uninstall nps
reinstall nps
before connecting to phone make sure you turn on developer mode (settings, application, devoloper)
this should allow it to install the drivers correctly when you connect the device.

NPS does not work for synching with IL2 it will only work for updating

Upvote 0
thanks for th info guys, i've tried adjusting the settings and reinstalling the NPC.
And now NPC does recognise that the phone is there!! :)

However when i go into the update bit in NPC and select the phone to update a window pops open and tells me that it can't connect to the server!

any ideas? (i was fully connected to the internet with the firewall and antivirus switched off)

jeff

Upvote 0
I too have had this problem with connecting to NPS for the update, been talking to O2 and Samsung, I was told that there is an issue with the update firmware part of the NPS and they are trying to resolve it (along with Windows 7 support). I was advised to take my phone to a service centre under guarantee and they would update the firmware for me. It is still with them as it had to go back to Samsung. :(
I'll let you know when I get it back..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones