• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

obdii apps... do they exist?

Just been beta testing a new software for WeGAUGE software so far its really good, some awesome concept and no bugs I think they are accepting beta testers WeGAUGE hopefully you can join the exclusive club of the beta testers. :p

tried to get on notification list but it says an error occured :thinking:

and their facebook link is for friending (which i did, see if its accepted)

there's no information on the site though, what are they looking to do?

Upvote 0
i'm using the cheapo one from dealextreme the elm327 torque and the windows program connect up just fine and read most of the data, but the buggy display and reading a p2181 code as b0100 kinda make it unreliable for me, ymmv torque might just not work with vw's but it'll clear the code ok so i guess its useful to me in that regard

Upvote 0
yeah, torque is junk...the display is buggy, and it doesn't read error codes on my passat, all it shows is b0100, where an old windows obd program reads them just fine...

hoping wegauge rolls out their stuff soon to try it out

wegauge huh? What's the story w/that? I'm not 100% satisfied w/Torque and I'm not paying for an app I'm not satisfied with.

Upvote 0
wegauge huh? What's the story w/that? I'm not 100% satisfied w/Torque and I'm not paying for an app I'm not satisfied with.

WeGauge seems to be rather interesting. Give 'em some time to get it going.....and i'm with you about paying for another app that over promises and under-delivers.

I think WeGauge will be a pleasant surprise for all. ;)

Upvote 0
search facebook, or look back in this thread i think there was a link

WeGauge seems to be rather interesting. Give 'em some time to get it going.....and i'm with you about paying for another app that over promises and under-delivers.

I think WeGauge will be a pleasant surprise for all. ;)

i hope so, waiting to get included in next beta testing

Upvote 0
So how have you used Torque thus far

Honestly, I haven't been very impressed. I bought it to check codes, and when I do, I get a blank screen. This may mean that I have no codes, or that it isn't working. The Torque web site isn't helpful at all in answering questions, and the developer admits that he is a great coder but can't write documentation. So if you want to know something, you have to ask in the forums and take pot luck.

Edit: One of the recent versions fixed the problem of no DTC messages, or it fixed whatever problem was preventing messages from appearing. I'm now getting a message to the effect of "No codes stored" for all three vehicles.

The developer makes very frequent changes to the program, but as near as I can tell has stopped updating the changelog.

Lots of people love the gauges. I used the temp gauge to cross-check my vehicle's temp gauge, but I find the rest of them pretty much duplicate what I have in the vehicle (yes, the vehicle does have a boost gauge).

What make/model cars
Audi A4, Ford Ranger, Honda Fit

Which Bluetooth adapter have you purchased?
The Elm 327 blue and orange one. It seems to work fine, but it comes with no real instructions and the instructions on the Torque developer's web site on how to work with it are flat out wrong. If you get that adapter and want my version of what the Torque developer provided, just ask (I offered them to the developer, who never replied).

Upvote 0
On Ebay, the ELM327 Bluetooth units are only $18.00!!! I just bought one. It comes with PC software, but I'm also looking forward to also trying out the OBDroid app.

At $18, this thing will surely pay for itself.

yeah some ancient pc software that came with mine could actually read the codes off my passat, but torque couldn't

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
I'm glad that I found this thread because I didn't realize that I could check my car's error codes and sensor data with a cheap $18 dongle. I have a laptop with Bluetooth built-in, and the PC-software that came with the ELM327 works fine. I loaded Torque, but didn't find it particularly useful for my needs, and it's easier to work on big-screen/keyboard laptop, so I uninstalled Torque after playing around with it a bit.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
OBD2 is pretty much OBD2. Is there something specifically different with VW's?

Yes and no. You can read generic OBDC II codes with any generic code reader on a VW. I did it to my TDI all the time. YES the ELM chipsets do talk to the VW controller. The ELM chipsets are used in some knockoff VCDS (Vag-com) cables and they are compatible with VCDS 4.09 and later (I was running 4.09 on my laptop).

VCDS is way beyond just an obdc reader/clearing tool. It checks engine timing, every module in the VW, and allows for some very basic tuning (Injection quantities mostly from what I saw). As with most manufacturers, VW has two sets of codes. One that is VW specific, and more useful... and one that it gives to OBDC II readers.... If you have spent money on the Bently manual, it has a rough translation in the back of it for the OBDII codes to the P**** codes.

I believe that in 2k3, VW started using CAN as well as OBDII in their cars as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones