• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Observation on the battery issue with the 2150. And no this is not a "I Found A Soultion" thread.

H

Hand76

This is just weird and I thought others were crazy when they mentioned it...

Day 1: My 2150 took 2 1/2 hours for me to get the green light, I did the unplug/plug back in bump trick and the phone charged for another 1 hour before turning green again.

(During this time I wiped my old battery stats)

Day 2: I charged 8 hours during the night and went to work in the morning with the phone at 100%, the drive to work took just under 30 minutes, when I got there the phone was down to 92% already without being used.

Day 3: (Where things get interesting) I get home from work and notice that after 3+ hours my phone is still charging, and going from 96 to 97% took about 15 minutes for 1%!!! Finally after getting to 100% (3 & a 1/2 hours with no unplug/bump method) that phone stayed at 100% for 30 minutes.

Day 4: Same as day 2. 92% when I got to work after letting the phone charge for 8 hours overnight.

Later Day 4: Same as day 3. Got home from work today and the phone took forever to charge (which is good) and after I unplugged it it stayed at 100% for a long time.

Bottom Line: Is the battery is getting to 100% on every full charge for me, problem is if I leave the phone plugged in it seems to stop charging and in a way drain the charge that was already created.

Edit: I took my phone off the charge tonight at 8pm just passed 9pm now and it is still at 100%.

It's crazy that you can stay at 100% for over 1 hour, yet when you let the phone charge longer you drop from 100% ---> 92% in 30 minutes.

This is what I've been saying. The battery charges to full when the Inc does it. It's just that the Incredible goes right back to battery power even if it's still plugged in. Why? I don't know. I tested this with an ammeter plugged inline with the stock charger.

If you take your battery off charge as soon as the light goes green, it is 100%.

Also, the last few percentage points take the longest when charging lithium ion/polymer. The charger is waiting for the current being used by the battery to trickle down to almost nothing. That's why it takes longer to feed the battery the last few %, because it's taking in less current.

Reactions: DustinF00
Upvote 0
This is what I've been saying. The battery charges to full when the Inc does it. It's just that the Incredible goes right back to battery power even if it's still plugged in. Why? I don't know. I tested this with an ammeter plugged inline with the stock charger.

If you take your battery off charge as soon as the light goes green, it is 100%.

Also, the last few percentage points take the longest when charging lithium ion/polymer. The charger is waiting for the current being used by the battery to trickle down to almost nothing. That's why it takes longer to feed the battery the last few %, because it's taking in less current.

All of this 100% accurate and explained very very well.

This is where I would think that the charging software/circuit in the phone has a bug - it doesn't detect or cannot detect the difference in charge level when the battery goes from the fullest charge to a minuscule lower - it just lets the phone run on its battery and slowly drain it.

Now - I want to say this is a bug - but - it might be out of safety and a new IEEE requirement to make best effrots to no over heat a battery.

This is why even tho I leave the battery on charge all night, when I wake up and hit the shower - I turn the phone off and I leave it off to charge another 20-30 minutes (either battery, the HTC OEM 1300, the 1500 or the 2150) and then leave after its been charged to GREEN LED or just pull it if its on amber still - depending if I have time.

I've also said in other threads here - that because the last little bit of tiny current charge required to "top off" Lithium Ion and the theory that the phone is most likely pulling from the battery during charging because the power supply cannot handle the power peak draw for a cell broadcast or something - the phone must decide to stop charging the battery at a certain time in order to not get stuck trying to charge a battery while the phone is pulling juice from the battery...

OH! ! here's the best example I can give.

So you have a powerful car stereo - you place a 1 Farad Capacitor before the amplifiers because of the "instant" and "quick demand" for current that a battery/alterator cannot handle.

This is whats happening when the phone draws current for the radios - its going to pull form the battery and NOT the power supply.

Upvote 0
Doesn't the Dinc tell you that it stopped charging? I know when mine is full the little lightning bolt goes away. I always assumed that meant it was no longer charging even though it is plugged in. The first time I noticed it I thought the phone was broken. :)

Is the Dinc the only phone that does this? I've never noticed this on any of my other phones in the past.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones