• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Observations from a former iPhone fanboy

stub74

Lurker
May 16, 2011
I was getting very bored of the iPhone 3GS and was thinking for sometime of jumping to Android.

I had the opportunity to upgrade and found that I could have the Samsung Galaxy S2. Got one shortly after release from O2.

I absolutely love the phone and here are my observations of it after having it for just under a fortnight.

Battery power is ok, I do use the phone a lot so just one of those things. Hoping to pick up another battery once they're released.

I bought a case from Ebay for around

I was getting very bored of the iPhone 3GS and was thinking for sometime of jumping to Android.

I had the opportunity to upgrade and found that I could have the Samsung Galaxy S2. Got one shortly after release from O2.

I absolutely love the phone and here are my observations of it after having it for just under a fortnight.

Battery power is ok, I do use the phone a lot so just one of those things. Hoping to pick up another battery once they're released.

I bought a case from Ebay for around

Upvote 0
Thanks guys!

I did read perhaps somewhere else that there's some oleophobic (sp?) ones that are due to be launched for the GalaxyS2.

Being a bit of a perfectionist I don't think my OCD would allow me to have a bubble in the screen protector..!!

thanks
Stu

Hello Mate, do you have a link for the case you got? I have been looking around but they all seem to be the "jelly" type ones and not the hard, rigid ones.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Hello Mate, do you have a link for the case you got? I have been looking around but they all seem to be the "jelly" type ones and not the hard, rigid ones.

Thanks

Hey mate, I got this one - 170623115815 it's called a gel case, it's not hard like a crystal case but also not soft like a normal sillicone one. Overall I'm happy with it.

Thanks
Stu

Upvote 0
I made the same jump and I am very happy with my SGSII.

The screen already appears to have an oleophobic coating. It doesn't collect fingerprints anywhere near as much as my iPhone did and when it does, I can wipe them off with any cloth material, not just a microfibre cloth.

Out of interest, why do people bother with cases and screen protectors?

One of the things I like about the phone is how slim it is. Putting it in a case just makes it fat and awkward to answer the phone. Screen protectors seem completely pointless on a hard glass screen. What do they actually do?

Upvote 0
I made the same jump and I am very happy with my SGSII.

The screen already appears to have an oleophobic coating. It doesn't collect fingerprints anywhere near as much as my iPhone did and when it does, I can wipe them off with any cloth material, not just a microfibre cloth.

Out of interest, why do people bother with cases and screen protectors?

One of the things I like about the phone is how slim it is. Putting it in a case just makes it fat and awkward to answer the phone. Screen protectors seem completely pointless on a hard glass screen. What do they actually do?

Hi

a case will stop the phone from getting scuffs as it appears to get scuffs/scratches easily, only plastic :p. screen protector.... i get one for just piece of mind to be honest. I know its gorilla glass but hey nothing it perfect uno :D

Upvote 0
i still think its how you treat your phone. The missus and i have always had the same phone for the same duration. my case is still near new lookin where the missus is bent backward and stuffed. my screen has a couple of tiny scratches after 2 years of use, hers is scuffed to the living end from smashing the screen on some game.

Bottom line is, i look after my shit, she doesnt. she gets a protector with the new phone, i wont bother.

Upvote 0
Is a screen protector necessary, it has gorilla glass doesn't it?

I'd say it probably isn't necessary, but considering that if you can put a screen protector on carefully without bubbles (an art form I still struggle with - seemingly only ninjas can accomplish this!) then I'd say get a protector.

Think how annoyed you'd be if you dropped it and chipped it on some gravel or forgot keys were in the same pocket and put a nice big scratch down the centre.

I'd be quite cross with myself to say the least! :p

Upvote 0
Thanks guys!

I did read perhaps somewhere else that there's some oleophobic (sp?) ones that are due to be launched for the GalaxyS2.

Being a bit of a perfectionist I don't think my OCD would allow me to have a bubble in the screen protector..!!

For clarification, it's Gorilla Glass with Oleophobic Coating.

With all due modesty, I'm a pro at applying screen protectors, yet that said I cannot stand them. And I've tried so many it's crazy.

At the end of the day, I've gone nearly a full year with my iPhone 4 (Oleophobic) without a screen protector, carrying it in my front pocket and it's as perfect as the day it came out of the box.

I don't use them on any of my Android phones either.

Instead I have re-framed how I think of the topic. If for some reason (like a drop, or whatever) I should get a scratch in the screen I can always make it better by covering it with a screen protector. That's what one of my friends (who's hard on things) does and it works pretty well.

Finally I do not like the loss of precise tactile feedback one gets from a nice Oleophobic screen, if it's covered.

It's simply not the same with a protector.

That's my take anyway:)

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones