• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help obtaining IP address (again)

jaybravo

Lurker
Apr 18, 2012
Hi folks

I have a Samsung Galaxy W and as of yesterday I have the problem where I can't connect to my home router even though it was working fine for months (it can't get past the "obtaining IP address"). I've found lots of threads with the same problem and some workarounds but not a permanent fix. Here's a description from another site:

"WiFi / DHCP network not working with your Android phone?

Android refuses to route Internet traffic if your wireless router sends it classless static routes in its DHCP reply.

The day I got my Android phone, I discovered that the address given to it by my DHCP server in my wireless network was correct, but the phone still would not access the Internet. The only way I could access the Internet is if I set the IP configuration statically in the phone, which was a pain because I'd have to enable and disable static configuration every time I came home / went away.
Digging a little deeper -- using The Google a lot -- I discovered the problem was the phone itself -- if the phone requests an address via DHCP, and the reply contains a classless route definition (DHCP option 121), then the phone sets that up as the routes but never sets the static route correctly, and as a consequence the phone simply fails to route traffic outside the LAN. This is a known bug in Android, that hasn't been addressed for years"

that's from a site called rudd-o if you want to google it. It does suggest a way to configure your router to prevent the problem but it is too technical for my tiny mind.:thinking: Does anyone have a FIX and not a workaround? (other than factory reset which I want to avoid) :eek:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones