• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Obtaning ip...forever

Hi guys,

I want to thank you to give me hope on upgrading my Telus Samsung Fascinate.

I am a complete noob in the Android world. Just bought my first personal mobile phone 3 months ago, and got it rooted last week. I just love the experience of Android over the iPhone/iPad. Now, I feel ready to make the move and flash my phone with either CM7 or another ROM.

I am not sure about the steps required to flash my device. Can you point me in the right direction? I am ready and willing. I have a very good PC background and running Windows 7 64-bit. What do I need to get started?

Upvote 0
So recently my phone stopped working on my home wifi, it just says obtaining ip address. My Mac filtering is off but i recentaly change my wifi ip address and i did make my phone forget that network...

Have you rebooted the router? I have a dlink dir-615 router that gives this issue with both my telus fascinate and my brothers` rogers captivate...

Does the phone see your wifi network?

Rebooting the router and/or the phone should fix this...

Oh ya typing this out on the fascinate is not easy...

Upvote 0
Wow, I just came on here to post about this same problem. This seemed to happen when I got a new computer and began installing a new printer. Not sure if it was the computer or the printer, or something else entirely.

I tried rebooting the router and the phone, but no dice. My only solution was to go into Wifi Settings > Advanced > Pick 'Static IP' > enter all the IP/MAC Address info. You get into advanced by pressing the menu (lower left button) button on the Wifi Settings page.

If you're using Windows you can get all your IP info by launching the command prompt and typing "ipconfig" (no quotation marks). Here's how to do that in case you have never used the command prompt:

Go to start menu > In the Start Menu 'Search Bar', type 'cmd' (no quotations) > Press enter > the black CMP prompt should pop up > type "ipconfig" (again, no quotations) and all the info you need will be there.

BTW, the "Netmask" on the Galaxy menu is the same as the Subnet mask listed in the command prompt.

I'd like to know of any other solutions, or why this happens.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones