• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

odafone customers beware!!

Hi everyone.
Watch out them sneaky (to rude to type) at vodafone have decdided to send an update through at the same time as htc are sending the 2.2. This is not 2.2 it is to put vodafone rubbish on your phone!!! it is software 1.24.1611.3. My phone was unbranded and had no vodafone crap on it at all and now its covered in it. NOT AMUSED so anyways guys you have been warned.... Now i'm away to ring vodafone and severly gob off at them it wont fix it but at least i'll get rid of my anger.....

thanks for giving me thanks ..............

I've never heard of Odafone before, but Vodafone are up to the same nonsense! ;)

Mine got covered in bloatware but i'll ignore the apps, i've deleted the bookmarks and reset my homepage so all should be well.

Saying that, pushing the stock ROM to the handset and getting the update that way is looking more and more tempting.

Vodafone - YOU SUCK!

Upvote 0
I'm on Vodafone, but fortunately saw the messages on their forum, halfway through installing, so managed to abort, my phone memory is marginal so anything else until froyo comes will probably kill it.

Anyone know if you can skip this update but still get the froyo one when it comes?

Also will apps automatically transfer to sd card, or will they need to be uninstalled and re-installed? to run from SD card.

Upvote 0
Me and the Mrs both have a desire through Vodafone and have not received this update yet. If we do is there anyway of not downloading it or is it something that will sit in our notification bar until its installed?

this is what worried me about VF as my old n96 was full of bloatware so in the end I hacked it and got rid of it all. I was so happy when I turned my desire on and there was no trace of VF but then started to think that maybe they just released the handset and were waiting for the Froyo update to dump their junk on us...Sadly looks like that was the case.

Have downloaded the official HTC Froyo rom and all the tools ready to root just incase this happened so looks like I will be using it sooner than I thought.

Just out of interest the people that have received this update, where in the world are you?

Upvote 0
Well ive just finished rebranding my Vodafone Desire by flashing it with a generic Rom.

It was a piece of cake to do, I was prompted to upgrade to 2.2 upon the first update check, 2.2 now running on an unbranded handset. just waiting for my backup to finish restoring my data as we speak.

If any Vodafone branded users would like my to post a guide im happy to do it. It really was easy.

Upvote 0
Well ive just finished rebranding my Vodafone Desire by flashing it with a generic Rom.

It was a piece of cake to do, I was prompted to upgrade to 2.2 upon the first update check, 2.2 now running on an unbranded handset. just waiting for my backup to finish restoring my data as we speak.

If any Vodafone branded users would like my to post a guide im happy to do it. It really was easy.

Go for it Bully!

I'm in the UK and as for skippingthe update - I doubt it. Voda's 2.2 update will probably only be available to the "Vodabloat" (BoroC4: love that!) handsets.....

Upvote 0
I'm the same as you Jay Kay - Desire with Vodaphone, but nothing recieved yet.

Im in the South East - guess from your Location in your Av you are too.

I just went into check for updates and there it was. Pressed cancel and it disappeared. Does not show anything in the notification bar which is a good thing but just waiting to see if it pops up again.

Just test the mrs to warn her as know she would probably just install thinking it was a good thing.

Yep in Essex so looks like this is UK wide looking at peoples locations

Upvote 0
I warned this may happen, but it seems that my post was mostly ignored, Link > http://androidforums.com/1266225-post964.html

Is this Vodafone update to their own handsets only? I got mine from Carphone Warehouse, so is unbranded but on the Vodafone network... Is this something I need to look out for??

Yes this is only foe VF, i have a phone from CPW and mine gone the official HTC Froyo 2.2.

Reactions: SteveH0773
Upvote 0

Go for it bud

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones