• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

odafone customers beware!!

Well ive just finished rebranding my Vodafone Desire by flashing it with a generic Rom.

It was a piece of cake to do, I was prompted to upgrade to 2.2 upon the first update check, 2.2 now running on an unbranded handset. just waiting for my backup to finish restoring my data as we speak.

If any Vodafone branded users would like my to post a guide im happy to do it. It really was easy.

please mate

Upvote 0
Well ive just finished rebranding my Vodafone Desire by flashing it with a generic Rom.

It was a piece of cake to do, I was prompted to upgrade to 2.2 upon the first update check, 2.2 now running on an unbranded handset. just waiting for my backup to finish restoring my data as we speak.

If any Vodafone branded users would like my to post a guide im happy to do it. It really was easy.
Newbie here
I updated my desire today to 1.24.161.3 and now have the vodafone sign at start-up .
no other voda crap that I can see, any help getting rid of it would be great.

Upvote 0

I wonder if this is why they pulled all the Desires from the German market as well...

Would love to know how to unbrand it, Bully!

Upvote 0
I warned this may happen, but it seems that my post was mostly ignored, Link > http://androidforums.com/1266225-post964.html

your "warning" is your other post is not relevant.

if you had generic HTC firmware, you would have been prompted to updated to 2.2.

only devices running vodafone firmware would be given the "option" to upgrade to 1.24.

a generic desire would never be prompted to update with carrier firmware.

Upvote 0
I'm so happy I read this post! Thanks guys!

Quite pissed off about this, after seeing an update and thinking it was 2.2. Luckily was waiting til I got home to download over WIFI.

Think I will be checking out Bully's guide! Vodafone started so well... its all going wrong now. Not happy

Upvote 0
Also really happy i read this post, SERIOUSLY pissed off with Vodasham that they do crap like this, i thought my Desire was unbranded and unlocked, its defo unlocked cos ive tried a Tmob sim and that worked fine, and also couldnt find any Vodafone rubbish on it, so come the weekend, like the whole of this forum (apart from those that have rooted and already had FroYo that is) i was franticly smashing the life out of that "update now" button only to be given the old chest nut "your phone is upto date" nonsense, so i started wondering "well what the sh1t yo? why arent i getting it and everyone else is?" a little digging led me to the vodafone "scene" under the menu button, i looked and alas...there was the dreaded voda scene, gutted, seriously gutted.

In hindsite i spose its my own fault for not making sure it was unbranded, i naturally assumed it was due to it being from phones4u and not seeing any obvious signs.

Anyway im gobbing away without actually getting to my point which is...Why? Why do they do this to people? i understand that they "have" to check the rom from google, cos well, one of the biggest companies in the world may get it wrong...Quite clearly a joke there, but fill the update with complete crap that no one wants? oh and make loyal customers wait (more than likely) a life time for said crap - filled update is beyond me, it just creates resentment and loathing for people like us (by that i mean people who actually give a sh1t about these kinds of things) Vodasham, get ya act together please, give customers what they actually want, not what they really dont.

Come this evening i get home and try again at the "update now" button and see something other than "your phone is upto date" and thought "yeah bwoy, this is the one, it has to be, its gotta be...right?" but had a sudden urge to check this forum to see what other people are wording about it, which leads me here, saddened and very annoyed!

For some people its ciggerettes, others its alcohol, and more others its drugs, well my addiction seems to be phones, and this one in particular, so when somethings sposed to come along to make your experience of said addiction even better, then you want it, and you wanted it 3 n half years ago, but you cant have it cos...... omg im gunna shut up, im pissing myself off nvm you lot.

LOL this is my first post here, sooorry, apologies, i promise i wont go on this much from now on, just needed to vent, in a nut shell, Vodasham are all kindsa crap and rubbish poo and really need to sort out theyre dealings with important updates, im fairly certain im not alone in thinking that.

Again sorry for the rant, ill just go be quiet now, toodles. :(

Upvote 0
Don't be sorry, vent your frustration! I actually jumped thinking it was FroYo, my wife laughed at me in the kitchen. Then I realised it wasnt and stopped it from installing the 360 crap but I still have some vodafone stuff on there. I only realised when I went onto Youtube and it defaulted to the HTC youtube player. I'm now debranding my phone and am going to hit the update button to get HTC's official 2.2 update.

They were very cheeky in doing this. Stupid of them, they look like right snidey fools now.

Upvote 0
I'm now debranding my phone and am going to hit the update button to get HTC's official 2.2 update.

They were very cheeky in doing this. Stupid of them, they look like right snidey fools now.

Very much seconded mate, i was very dubious about debranding and figured i might aswell just wait for the official update, but im just gunna jump straight in and do it. Hopefuly Bully74uk's guide is simple enough to follow.

Upvote 0
Reactions: kingdeacon
Upvote 0
Ok, did it!!!

Was very simple and took about 30 mins, if that! Got Froyo 2.2 on my Voda, which is now running a generic HTC Android 2.2 OS. Bully's thread is great, and props to him for referring back to the original guide and giving credit where it is due! :D

Vodafone have definitely lost a customer with this little fast one!

Upvote 0
your "warning" is your other post is not relevant.

if you had generic HTC firmware, you would have been prompted to updated to 2.2.

only devices running vodafone firmware would be given the "option" to upgrade to 1.24.

a generic desire would never be prompted to update with carrier firmware.

How is it not relevent, these people thought they had unbranded/generic phones/firmware from their network operator, and understandably they thought (wrongly) that they where getting a frirmware update to froyo, but what did they get instead, they got VF branded firmware, also, these people probably had no idea their phones where running VF specific firmware in the first place.

The "warning" is there, but if you want to nit pic then go ahead.

Upvote 0
The "warning" is there, but if you want to nit pic then go ahead.

nit picking? not really.

you "warned" about this:

...all those people that have purchased a phone directly from their network operator that currently have generic firmware pre-installed may end up with a network branded phone after the update to Froyo.

which would never happen because if you have generic firmware, you will get generic updates from HTC.

what really happened is that Vodafone customers were looking out for FroYo 2.2 and Vodafone sneaked out an update to their own 2.1 firmware at the same time which caught people out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones