• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Odd after rooting issue...help?

fam

Android Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2009
Sylvania, OH
So I rooted, fixed the youtube drama...bought an SD card to make half my games work..but...I dont have the option to allow app installs from outside sources as my settings screen still looks like the old one..did the root not get done fully? Do I need to redo it with the SD rom again or am I missing something?

PS do I need to wait till 2.2+ to get adobe flash working?

Thanks,

So I rooted, fixed the youtube drama...bought an SD card to make half my games work..but...I dont have the option to allow app installs from outside sources as my settings screen still looks like the old one..did the root not get done fully? Do I need to redo it with the SD rom again or am I missing something?

PS do I need to wait till 2.2+ to get adobe flash working?

Thanks,

Gotta enable that via ADB (possibly root explorer...but that seems like too much typing. I'm all about cut and paste :D)

http://androidforums.com/nookcolor-...o-wiki-page-rooting-nookcolor-plz-sticky.html

There is a section about "NookColor Enable App install from on-device installers". Worked like a charm :D

And yes...you need 2.2 to have Adobe Flash.

Upvote 0
Thanks I just got all the ADB working and tested it to make sure...all was a success....

once in...their commands say:

$ adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db settings.db
$ sqlite3 settings.db sqlite> update secure set value=1 where name='install_non_market_apps'; sqlite> .q
$ adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db $ adb reboot

Guestimating each $ is a line I have to enter...1st line..works fine gives the size of the file it worked...
the 2nd part "sqlite3 settings.db sqlite> update secure set value=1 where name='install_non_market_apps'; sqlite> .q" it says access is denied, mind you the last 2 commands work fine as well but this is the money command so anyone know whats up?

Upvote 0
Thanks I just got all the ADB working and tested it to make sure...all was a success....

once in...their commands say:

$ adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db settings.db
$ sqlite3 settings.db sqlite> update secure set value=1 where name='install_non_market_apps'; sqlite> .q
$ adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db $ adb reboot

Guestimating each $ is a line I have to enter...1st line..works fine gives the size of the file it worked...
the 2nd part "sqlite3 settings.db sqlite> update secure set value=1 where name='install_non_market_apps'; sqlite> .q" it says access is denied, mind you the last 2 commands work fine as well but this is the money command so anyone know whats up?

I don't like the way these commands are written. Listed below is what you should type. you can cut and paste these and they should work fine (using right click in the command prompt to paste...not CTRL + V).

Code:
[B]1)[/B] adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db settings.db 

[B]2)[/B] sqlite3 settings.db 

[B]3)[/B] sqlite> update secure set value=1 where name='install_non_market_apps';

[B]4)[/B] sqlite> .q 

[B]5)[/B] adb push settings.db/data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db 

adb reboot

The $'s don't need to be added and I can see where the confusion comes in. I've numbered the lines of code (1 through 5 in bold) to try and make it simpler. Do NOT include the numbers when entering the code.

Reactions: fam
Upvote 0
Thanks I will give it a try when I get home from work. I knew the $ didnt need to be in there I assume it just meant line #s. The sqlite3 was marked off of the install of the autonoot rooting page like it was supposed to be in there and was not ready...could it be im missing that and causing drama.

PS thanks for your help. Watch me do all this work then someone comes out with a fully functional 2.2+ rom with everything already perfect.

lol USBrocked I just now noticed your avatar.

Upvote 0
Thanks I will give it a try when I get home from work. I knew the $ didnt need to be in there I assume it just meant line #s. The sqlite3 was marked off of the install of the autonoot rooting page like it was supposed to be in there and was not ready...could it be im missing that and causing drama.

PS thanks for your help. Watch me do all this work then someone comes out with a fully functional 2.2+ rom with everything already perfect.

lol USBrocked I just now noticed your avatar.

Ahhh...that has been my life since finding Android! Get everything all set up...and then someone makes it better, faster, and easier. I love and curse new releases at the same time :)

Upvote 0
Actually..as much fun as some parts of it are (incredibly battery life..can fit in my coat pocket) even if I had a 2.2 flash perfectly working on it, i still have my droid which is eligible to upgrade here in a few months anyway when some of these new tablets come out that are nvidia dual core on the new android platform..Id be foolish to buy one of these now so....Ive decided to take her back to Best Buy and pick up a good wacom drawing tablet so I can get back to business ;-)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones